Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

RODI filter and phosphates...

If a TDS meter for an RODI filter reads "0" TDS coming out, is there ANY chance it did not completely strip the water of phosphates, ammo, etc? My tank is becoming an algae playground... I feed 2-3 times a week, run a skimmer, and purigen and polyfil in a HOB filter.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's funny you mention this, as I was thinking the same thing about mine. My resin is still blue, so I'm guessing it's stripping everything out (and my TDS is 0 on the product water).

Here's my thread on the issue:
Green cyano?

Like you, I feed 3x a week, and I don't go dumping in a whole cube of PE Mysis, I thaw it, and then drop in a couple for my clowns, one for the cleaner, one for the goby. I use a little (about 1mL) of the "shrimp juice" once a week as a treat for the coral.

The only thing I can think of for my tank is that in the beginning, I didn't have "reef" lights on the tank, so I'm wondering if I'm going through the ugly stage now since I have a more powerful set of lights running. Did you upgrade your lights anytime recently?

Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the reply. I have had the same lights on the tank since I set it up a few months ago. TaoTronics 120 watt, dimmable blue/white, not the full spectrum.

I'm going to do a 50% PWC this weekend and will be trying different salt. Here's to hoping...
Old 01-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I doubt it's the salt mix. Measure your nitrates and phosphates in some freshly mixed water. That will tell you.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are other issues in my tank that are also trying to be addressed which is why it was recommended to me by Mr. X that it could be the salt. This was just an isolated inquiry regarding the effectiveness of RODI filters...
Old 01-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

what salt brand are you using now? did you recently switch to it?
Old 01-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Was using IO. As soon as I put corals I there I started using Red Sea Coral Pro, and since then they all started to slowly close...
Old 01-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could it be coincidental, probably. But I need to rule everything out, as that is basically the last thing to rule out.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm using RedSea Coral Pro, and my corals are open, so I don't think it's the salt. I did make the switch from IO about 2 months ago, and I noticed the mix ratio had to be tweaked a little bit to get the right SG, as measured by my dog urine measuring device.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, with the Coral Pro, I noticed that if I mix for too long, the batch goes bad. I now keep a close eye on things, and after about an hour of mixing, turn on the heater to heat the water, then add it once it gets up to temp.

Tags
ate, filter, phosphate, phosphates, rodi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com