Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
RODI float switch & excess water

I have a Kent Marine Maxxima RODI system. I use it in my utility room and fill up 5 gallon buckets at a time. I do this in my laundry tub so any overflow goes down the drain. It is working properly, but I have two questions:

1. I keep forgetting about it and the bucket overflows down the drain and I end up wasting a lot of water. Can anyone explain to me how to setup a float switch so when I go to the LFS I know what to buy?

2. There seems to be a lot of waste water coming out of the orange tube (after the membrane) that goes down the drain. Anyone have any suggestions about what to do with it other then water the plants?

bvd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know much about the RO/DI units yet but I am thinking that is about all the waste water is good for to water the plants with. When I get mine that is exactly what I will be doing with my waste water because I have a ton of plants out on the patio.

mwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
here are a whole bunch of them-
float switch | Marine Depot
you would drill a hole in the bucket and mount it towards the top, then attach the R.O. output tube. when the water comes up to the top it will lift the float, and shut off the water.
i don't know how else to explain it.

many folks buy 100gpd R.O.D.I. units because they think more is better, but the truth is, you will have considerably more waste water using a 100gpd unit, rather than a 75 or 50 gpd unit. they larger ones just waste more water to get less return.

i have heard of people putting it in their washing machines, and watering plants. what else would you need large amounts of water for? fill your swimming pool?
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I understand how the float switch works, but do you know the specifics of how to hook it up to the RO/DI unit. If I put it on the end of the "good" water tube how does the float switch shut off the water to the entire unit?

I guess I could fill my hot tub with the additional water.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I found the owners manual for the float switch produced by Kent Marine. I had to follow a couple links that MR. X posted.
Then click the "support" link and download the pdf owners manual.

The diagram was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the help guys

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com