Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I keep my garbage can full of water outside on my back patio. I use a heater and a powerhead to keep the water fresh. I use a long stretch of 1/2" hose that i use to fill the tank after a water change. It's about 15-20 ft away from my 125g. Not sure if thats a feasible solution for you as I don't know how far away it will in your house. lol

The group buy thing is actually a good deal like rookie mentioned, permanent discounts going forward. I got the model with the pressure gauge and dual TDS meters so I can know at a glance when it's time to change the filters or if my membrane needs to be flushed or changed.

As far as durability, my b/f just dropped my ro/di unit outside on the patio's concrete floor and it didn't leave a mark on it, really well built and sturdy.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You can make it work if you really want to. Being unfamiliar with your laundry room design, it's hard to suggest anything, but my original thoughts on having the aquariums to use as holding tanks would work... just gotta find out what works for you. With all the tank designs there are out there, I'm sure you can find something that'll work.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It isn't a question of will :P

It is also the utility room, and when I have the dryer door open, there is only 15-18" of clearance between the water heater and the dryer. Also, with the door to the room open, there is only about 15" of clearance from the door to the back wall. So I would have to find a 15"X15" box to store water... not much capacity. And... obviously I need 2 storage containers, one for top off water, and one with premix saltwater for PWCs.

I am now thinkin I could mount the RO system in the garage, where I have a hose outlet. I could then drill a small hole to get into the finished basement from the garage, and that would solve the temperature issues. But... I then have to haul buckets of water up a flight of stairs. Doable, but not much fun. That is probably the route I am going to have to go.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How far will it be distance wise from the storage containers to the tank? I still like the idea of a pump in the can and a long hose with a ball valve at the end so you can control the flow when refilling the tank.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

U can get a 4 gallon storage tank and menards sells line and fittings. Get a tee and shut off valve and 25 ft when u need to top off unwind the hose with the valve on the end take it to your tank and you'll have 4 gallons right off the bat. Tanks are 30-45$.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Via gravity? So you are saying mount the tank high? What kind of storage tank?

How about mixing SW?

Also, when I start the tank, can I mix the SW in the tank, since I will have to make somewhere around 70 gallons with the DT and sump?

Then for PWCs, I can just mix 5 gallons of SW in a bucket at a time? Would that work?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's like a pressure tank for a well. So no not via gravity. You could run it up two floors and still deliver water. What I have is my ro in my sump closet. I have 1 can for mixing saltwater. I fill my can 4 gallons at a time. When I need to top off I pick up the line that has a shut off valve on the end and top off my water in my sump.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Search ro storage tank with google.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

If your on city water u CAN'T do it like me because of chlorine. That's why u condition the water. I have it lucky with my water.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Ok, so that could work - Especially if it has enough pressure to move it up a flight of stairs. I could put this stuff in the basement, and just run a water line up the stairs for a top off?

Tags
rodi, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com