RODI System Help & Opinions Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
I want to get my RODI system coming this way this week in anticipation of setting up my reef tank over the next several weeks.

Any opinions on this system: 150 GPD 6st Reverse Osmosis RO DI Water Filters system | eBay

I plan on setting this up in my laundry room. There is a floor drain for waste water, and I will just need to split off the cold water supply for the washer. I am open to any and all suggestions to make this as easy as possible for top offs and water changes. The laundry room is only about 20-30ft from where the tank will go... most likely will see about getting a hose real and a small pump to move the water between the laundry room and sump.

Thanks Carey, but it is out of stock. Can you tell me the differences in quality, and what I need to be looking for to get a decent reliable system?

I think that one should work. Being that your tank is a 57 gallon you`ll only need a lot of water at the beginning. You could actually get away with a fifty gallon a day unit if there is much difference in price. But that one should work fine. Congrats on the build.

If you haven't made your purchase yet, we'll recommend you don't get the ebay system. You can do much better. You want better prefilters than that system comes with. No need for two carbon blocks unless you have chloramines in your water. You probably don't. Email us if you need help figuring out if you do.

The ebay system has horizontal DI stage - a sure sign of a system to avoid. Here are some things to look for in a good system for this hobby:

No more than 4 stages (sediment, carbon, RO, DI) unless you have specific water quality issues you want to address
Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
Brand name, high-rejection membrane
Specifications provided for each stage
Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
Thermometer
TDS meter (handheld or in-line)
DI bypass
Vertical DI stage
Refillable DI cartridge
Aluminum bracket
Quick connect fittings
No water from pressurized storage container delivered to DI
Flush valve
Clear housings
High-quality instructions written in clear English
Customer support before, during, and after your purchase
A vendor involved in your hobby

Russ

So, would something like this "build your own" from BRS be a better option? The price difference between it and the eBay system is pretty minimal, when the cost of the valves, TDS meter, and adapters are factored in. It looks like it has everything I need for an auto-shutoff except the containers to hold the water...

Build Your Own RO System
Stage One
5 Micron Sediment Filter
Stage Two
5 Micron Carbon Block (cto/2)
Stage Three
1 Micron Carbon Block (+1)
Stage Four (Membrane)
75 Gallons Per Day (98% Rejection)
Stage Five (on it's own bracket)
Single DI
Accessories
Single TDS meter (Sm-1)
Auto shut off valve
Float Valve
Water and Drain Supply
Laundry Tub and Garden Hose Adaptor

I like the BRS unit because of the quality first off. I have both the ebay unit and the BRS one so I feel I can answer with some knowledge. :)
Not sure if the replacement filters are industry sized on the ebay one, that was one of the main reasons I upgraded tot he BRS. You can get whatever filters you like from anywhere you like. I went with the same filter setup you listed above. 5 micron sediment, 5 micron carbon, 1 micron carbon and the 75gpd membrane, I also went with only the single DI.

BRS should have the unit in stock by March 7th by the way AND I was going to do another group buy for that week seeing as it was out of stock during the last buy. If gotten during a group buy it's only $180 adn comes with everything you will need. In fact my b/f is right this second mounting my unit outside for me. :)

If you ever find the need for more water making you can add a dual membrane to it for an extra $60 and double the water production and decrease the waste water almost to a 1:1 ratio.

The system I listed there is in stock as far as I can tell. I don't think I need the pressure gauge or the chrome faucet adapter, as this is going on the laundry room cold water supply - which has a ton of pressure. Other than that looks the same, except instead of the pressure gauge, I added a TDS gauge. Should I pull the trigger on it?

No... wait until you're ready to make a $175+ order... and get in on a group buy before you buy... even if you don't buy on the group buy, you get preferred pricing afterwards.. well worth the wait for a week or two.

I really have to think this through. On doing some measuring, I don't think I can get an effective system to fit properly in my laundry room. The other option is the garage, which would mean hauling buckets up a flight of stairs, and then there is also the problem of the water being too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. I don't know if I am going to have the room to do this.

I keep my garbage can full of water outside on my back patio. I use a heater and a powerhead to keep the water fresh. I use a long stretch of 1/2" hose that i use to fill the tank after a water change. It's about 15-20 ft away from my 125g. Not sure if thats a feasible solution for you as I don't know how far away it will in your house. lol

The group buy thing is actually a good deal like rookie mentioned, permanent discounts going forward. I got the model with the pressure gauge and dual TDS meters so I can know at a glance when it's time to change the filters or if my membrane needs to be flushed or changed.

As far as durability, my b/f just dropped my ro/di unit outside on the patio's concrete floor and it didn't leave a mark on it, really well built and sturdy. :)

You can make it work if you really want to. Being unfamiliar with your laundry room design, it's hard to suggest anything, but my original thoughts on having the aquariums to use as holding tanks would work... just gotta find out what works for you. With all the tank designs there are out there, I'm sure you can find something that'll work.

It isn't a question of will :p

It is also the utility room, and when I have the dryer door open, there is only 15-18" of clearance between the water heater and the dryer. Also, with the door to the room open, there is only about 15" of clearance from the door to the back wall. So I would have to find a 15"X15" box to store water... not much capacity. And... obviously I need 2 storage containers, one for top off water, and one with premix saltwater for PWCs.

I am now thinkin I could mount the RO system in the garage, where I have a hose outlet. I could then drill a small hole to get into the finished basement from the garage, and that would solve the temperature issues. But... I then have to haul buckets of water up a flight of stairs. Doable, but not much fun. That is probably the route I am going to have to go.

How far will it be distance wise from the storage containers to the tank? I still like the idea of a pump in the can and a long hose with a ball valve at the end so you can control the flow when refilling the tank.

U can get a 4 gallon storage tank and menards sells line and fittings. Get a tee and shut off valve and 25 ft when u need to top off unwind the hose with the valve on the end take it to your tank and you'll have 4 gallons right off the bat. Tanks are 30-45$.

Via gravity? So you are saying mount the tank high? What kind of storage tank?

How about mixing SW?

Also, when I start the tank, can I mix the SW in the tank, since I will have to make somewhere around 70 gallons with the DT and sump?

Then for PWCs, I can just mix 5 gallons of SW in a bucket at a time? Would that work?

It's like a pressure tank for a well. So no not via gravity. You could run it up two floors and still deliver water. What I have is my ro in my sump closet. I have 1 can for mixing saltwater. I fill my can 4 gallons at a time. When I need to top off I pick up the line that has a shut off valve on the end and top off my water in my sump.

If your on city water u CAN'T do it like me because of chlorine. That's why u condition the water. I have it lucky with my water.

Ok, so that could work - Especially if it has enough pressure to move it up a flight of stairs. I could put this stuff in the basement, and just run a water line up the stairs for a top off?

Back
Top Bottom