Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

RODI System Help & Opinions Needed

I want to get my RODI system coming this way this week in anticipation of setting up my reef tank over the next several weeks.

Any opinions on this system: 150 GPD 6st Reverse Osmosis RO DI Water Filters system | eBay

I plan on setting this up in my laundry room. There is a floor drain for waste water, and I will just need to split off the cold water supply for the washer. I am open to any and all suggestions to make this as easy as possible for top offs and water changes. The laundry room is only about 20-30ft from where the tank will go... most likely will see about getting a hose real and a small pump to move the water between the laundry room and sump.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you are going to do this right and with reasonable costs i would recommend this instead, more $$ but a better quality unit.

75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System - English

Old 02-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Thanks Carey, but it is out of stock. Can you tell me the differences in quality, and what I need to be looking for to get a decent reliable system?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I think that one should work. Being that your tank is a 57 gallon you`ll only need a lot of water at the beginning. You could actually get away with a fifty gallon a day unit if there is much difference in price. But that one should work fine. Congrats on the build.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you haven't made your purchase yet, we'll recommend you don't get the ebay system. You can do much better. You want better prefilters than that system comes with. No need for two carbon blocks unless you have chloramines in your water. You probably don't. Email us if you need help figuring out if you do.

The ebay system has horizontal DI stage - a sure sign of a system to avoid. Here are some things to look for in a good system for this hobby:

No more than 4 stages (sediment, carbon, RO, DI) unless you have specific water quality issues you want to address
Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
Brand name, high-rejection membrane
Specifications provided for each stage
Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
Thermometer
TDS meter (handheld or in-line)
DI bypass
Vertical DI stage
Refillable DI cartridge
Aluminum bracket
Quick connect fittings
No water from pressurized storage container delivered to DI
Flush valve
Clear housings
High-quality instructions written in clear English
Customer support before, during, and after your purchase
A vendor involved in your hobby

Russ
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

So, would something like this "build your own" from BRS be a better option? The price difference between it and the eBay system is pretty minimal, when the cost of the valves, TDS meter, and adapters are factored in. It looks like it has everything I need for an auto-shutoff except the containers to hold the water...

Build Your Own RO System
Stage One
5 Micron Sediment Filter
Stage Two
5 Micron Carbon Block (cto/2)
Stage Three
1 Micron Carbon Block (+1)
Stage Four (Membrane)
75 Gallons Per Day (98% Rejection)
Stage Five (on it's own bracket)
Single DI
Accessories
Single TDS meter (Sm-1)
Auto shut off valve
Float Valve
Water and Drain Supply
Laundry Tub and Garden Hose Adaptor
Old 02-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I like the BRS unit because of the quality first off. I have both the ebay unit and the BRS one so I feel I can answer with some knowledge.
Not sure if the replacement filters are industry sized on the ebay one, that was one of the main reasons I upgraded tot he BRS. You can get whatever filters you like from anywhere you like. I went with the same filter setup you listed above. 5 micron sediment, 5 micron carbon, 1 micron carbon and the 75gpd membrane, I also went with only the single DI.

BRS should have the unit in stock by March 7th by the way AND I was going to do another group buy for that week seeing as it was out of stock during the last buy. If gotten during a group buy it's only $180 adn comes with everything you will need. In fact my b/f is right this second mounting my unit outside for me.

If you ever find the need for more water making you can add a dual membrane to it for an extra $60 and double the water production and decrease the waste water almost to a 1:1 ratio.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The system I listed there is in stock as far as I can tell. I don't think I need the pressure gauge or the chrome faucet adapter, as this is going on the laundry room cold water supply - which has a ton of pressure. Other than that looks the same, except instead of the pressure gauge, I added a TDS gauge. Should I pull the trigger on it?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

No... wait until you're ready to make a $175+ order... and get in on a group buy before you buy... even if you don't buy on the group buy, you get preferred pricing afterwards.. well worth the wait for a week or two.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I really have to think this through. On doing some measuring, I don't think I can get an effective system to fit properly in my laundry room. The other option is the garage, which would mean hauling buckets up a flight of stairs, and then there is also the problem of the water being too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. I don't know if I am going to have the room to do this.

Tags
rodi, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com