Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

rodi system question

OK so I have an rodi system and I have noticed that it takes about 3 gallons to make one gallon. So what I want to know is can I run the drainage line back to the inlet line with a t fitting so I can eliminate the wasted water..... I can't find anything online that tells me it's not a good idea so any help would b great....

Old 11-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only negative I can think of is that it would take a large toll on the filters because the tds will be significantly higher than normal. You would have to change the filters a lot more frequently.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah but I think 20 bucks for the filters from BRS every 6 months is better then the 40 dollar increase I saw on my water bill.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_mango View Post
OK so I have an rodi system and I have noticed that it takes about 3 gallons to make one gallon. So what I want to know is can I run the drainage line back to the inlet line with a t fitting so I can eliminate the wasted water..... I can't find anything online that tells me it's not a good idea so any help would b great....

NO!!! You cannot do that!! The RO membrane is removing solids from your water, so keeping it in a closed loop will plug the system very quickly.... My tap water has a TDS of 440, and the waste is 550, so everytime the waste would recycle through, that number will get higher & higher with no place for the filtered out material to go.

Fortunately, my RODI is in my basment mounted on the wall right next to my washing machine.... I just run the waste line into the washer and do a load of work clothes whenever it starts to fill up (You'd be surprised how much water a washing machine takes to fill!!).
Old 11-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK but idk off the top of my head what my tds is of my water but I have a water softener hooked up to my house water would that help lower the tds
Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fun fact to know and tell: Do you know what's in a water softener?

Cation DI resin. It is a special type of resin that captures hardness (primarily calcium and magnesium) and releases sodium. So in that process it doesn't really lower TDS.

Russ
Old 11-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Field S View Post
Fun fact to know and tell: Do you know what's in a water softener?

Cation DI resin. It is a special type of resin that captures hardness (primarily calcium and magnesium) and releases sodium. So in that process it doesn't really lower TDS.

Russ
Exactly right. A water softener will lower your GH, not KH, and does nothing to lower TDS
Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK so how do the zero waste rodi systems work is there more then one membrane or something....
Old 11-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK so I just found out how the zero waste water system works by putting the water back into the hot side of ur water system on ur house so I might just buy the kit that will do that it is 150 bucks I think it will b worth the money has anyone used this it is a Watts system
Old 11-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

In many places that process doesn't meet code because you are putting dechlorinated water back into your potable water. RO and RODI systems are prone to biological growth - so make sure you are adequately and frequently sanitizing your RODI system if you do that.

Tags
rodi, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com