Rondomatic 400 Automatic Fish Feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought this feeder: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...lpartial&Ntk=All&pc=1&N=0&Ntt=rondomatic&Np=1

It had a fatal flaw. The bracket that attaches to the tank didn't fit any of the standard tank sizes - 20 gal, 55 gal, etc. The part that slips over the tank frame was too narrow and wouldn't fit over the rim of a standard tank. I guess if you had a rimless tank like the ones sold by glasscages.com, it might work.

Anyway, I had a chance to study it's other features. In some respects it's pretty nice. The dumping mechanism is neat and crisp and having a lot of little dumping bins is pretty good for portion control. The main drawbacks I saw were as follows:

1. Fast dumping. The bins should dump slowly over a period of minutes so the fish could take in the food before it sinks. Instead they dump instantaneously so all the food in a bin goes into the tank at one time.

2. Unnecessarily limited feed times. The feeder has 28 separate dumping bins, but only 4 pins to trigger the dumps. The pins are like the analog timers you buy at HD where you put in a pin where you want to trigger an on/off switch. The good ones have a settable pin for every 15 minutes in a 24h period. This feeder should be like that, but instead has only 4 pins for 24h.

Back
Top Bottom