running 2 canister filters with 1 intake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ngara0

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 120g cichlid tank and I'd like to run 2 xp3 canister filters with only 1 intake tube. Does the intake tube need to be of a bigger diameter because of feeding the 2 filters? I have a Y adapter to split the flow and would be using the separate outlets for the return. THANX, Steve

You won't be able to do a bigger tube only because what you're working with has already been predetermined for size. I could see how you would be able to piggy back one to another but I'm not confident you'll get the return rate you're looking for with a tank that size.

I have a Y adapter with 1 inch on 1 end and the other 2 are 3/4 inch. Is there any risk of any back pressure in the canisters? Really afraid of a catastrophy.

I don't think back pressure would be an issue, I think one or both of the filters will be starved for water.

I would have a 1 inch solid inlet tube in aquarium with 1 inch tubing going into the 1 inch Y adapter and then into 3/4 in inlets into the filters.

Back
Top Bottom