Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Running a HOB filter on a UPS

Has anyone tried hooking up their filtration system to a computer UPS as a battery back up for power failures? Just curious as to how long it would run.

Old 04-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good question. I was wondering that this morning. I think it should work, but I'll watch this thread to see if anyone has done that.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haven't done it, but HOB's have such a low power consumption, you should get quite a bit of time off a small UPS backup box.

I'd try to find out what the UPS is rated for...lots of times it'll say "will keep a PC running for up to 2 hours"...and go off that number. A PC (minus the monitor) will take up more power than the average HOB, but its better to be a little conservative.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was thinking the same thin. The UPS would only be running one little impeller correct? If that's the case, it would be the equivalent of running one PC case fan, it should run for hours. I have a spare one, maybe I'll run a test while cycling my new tank. I'll post the results.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That would be good to know oxymoron. Yesterday my power went out for 4 hours and it got me to thinking about putting my heaters on a UPS. However, after going to American Power Conversion's web site and using their calculator to figure out how much UPS I need to keep 300 watts of 120v heaters running, well.. lets just say that the I could replace the fish ALOT cheaper. $179 for the cheap model and $419 for the one that I really should get.

75 gal :
6 Assorted Cory Cats
6 Pristella Tetras
5 Plattys (blue)
4 Kribensis
2 Australian Rainbows
2 Silver Hatchet fish

Click here and vote for AA!
Hooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Totally forgot about the heater, that will draw some power for sure.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You could probably buy a battery and a inverter for a lot less and have more capacity. Also remember that the heater does not run constantly, especially if you wrap blankets around the tank.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yup,

I do this. I purchased the biggest UPS's my local computer/electronics store had for my computers. Doing some calculations showed me my computers could run for 16 hours off these big boys. I ended up plugging my tank filters into them too. Now I calculate I will have about 4 hours.

Over the past 10 years here, 99% of my power outages last under 2 hours. Given this, my UPS setup is adaquate.

The size of your UPS depends upon what the average length of time you have for power outages. If they are long enough, get;

1. golf cart batteries
2. Battery Inverter

and setup them up as your own homebrew UPS. Tons of plans online for this.

Best of luck,
Asaint
Old 05-02-2005, 12:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i live in the south so if i got a ups i wouldnt need it to run the heater its already hot enough as it is lol
Old 05-03-2005, 05:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here in Georgia (and more so in Florida) the outages we've experienced are several hours, and in some cases days, from the hurricanes.

I'm interested in the battery/inverter idea. I'm not sure what an inverter is or what type of battery is required. I need 3 separate setups for the three locations my tanks are in.

Tags
filter, hob, hob filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com