Running a HOB filter on a UPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oxymoron

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone tried hooking up their filtration system to a computer UPS as a battery back up for power failures? Just curious as to how long it would run.

Good question. I was wondering that this morning. I think it should work, but I'll watch this thread to see if anyone has done that.

Haven't done it, but HOB's have such a low power consumption, you should get quite a bit of time off a small UPS backup box.

I'd try to find out what the UPS is rated for...lots of times it'll say "will keep a PC running for up to 2 hours"...and go off that number. A PC (minus the monitor) will take up more power than the average HOB, but its better to be a little conservative.

I was thinking the same thin. The UPS would only be running one little impeller correct? If that's the case, it would be the equivalent of running one PC case fan, it should run for hours. I have a spare one, maybe I'll run a test while cycling my new tank. I'll post the results.

That would be good to know oxymoron. Yesterday my power went out for 4 hours and it got me to thinking about putting my heaters on a UPS. However, after going to American Power Conversion's web site and using their calculator to figure out how much UPS I need to keep 300 watts of 120v heaters running, well.. lets just say that the I could replace the fish ALOT cheaper. $179 for the cheap model and $419 for the one that I really should get.

You could probably buy a battery and a inverter for a lot less and have more capacity. Also remember that the heater does not run constantly, especially if you wrap blankets around the tank. :D

Yup,

I do this. I purchased the biggest UPS's my local computer/electronics store had for my computers. Doing some calculations showed me my computers could run for 16 hours off these big boys. I ended up plugging my tank filters into them too. Now I calculate I will have about 4 hours.

Over the past 10 years here, 99% of my power outages last under 2 hours. Given this, my UPS setup is adaquate.

The size of your UPS depends upon what the average length of time you have for power outages. If they are long enough, get;

1. golf cart batteries
2. Battery Inverter

and setup them up as your own homebrew UPS. Tons of plans online for this.

Best of luck,
Asaint

i live in the south so if i got a ups i wouldnt need it to run the heater its already hot enough as it is lol :lol:

Here in Georgia (and more so in Florida) the outages we've experienced are several hours, and in some cases days, from the hurricanes.

I'm interested in the battery/inverter idea. I'm not sure what an inverter is or what type of battery is required. I need 3 separate setups for the three locations my tanks are in.

I have a 1000VA APC Smart-UPS. I read this thread a couple of days ago and thought I would give it a try. Here's my tank specs (for power):

1 AquaClear 200/50 HOB
1 Penguin 100 HOB
1 100W Heater
1 30" Flourescent light (not sure on the wattage. Came with the hood)

I ran everything constant, except the light. The light was on for 2 hours every 12 hours. The heater was set for 80F and I really couldn't monitor how long it was on/off (you know how those things go).

Remember that the Wattage of the UPS doesn't really determine how long something can run. It's really used for the load factor.

So my UPS gives me 1000VA. I figured I was throwing about 30W average (more with the heating/lighting). So, I was throwing roughly 43VA at my 1000VA UPS. Using the standard UPS sizing calculator, I take my 1000VA divided by the 43VA thrown at it. This gives me 23.25. Since it's over 3, I use a multiplyer of 1.5. This UPS can handle full load for 6.1 minutes. The formula is this:

(1000/43) x 1.5 x 6.1

This give mes 213 minutes, or about 3.5 hours.

Throwing everything on this to see if it works, I came close. I must have been off by my estimated Wattage being thrown because I lasted roughly 4.25 hours.

Just for kicks, a 350W UPS (common and cheap at under $100) will only give you about an hour. (71 minutes by the best full loaded 350W UPS)

Not very practical if you ask me. $1400 for 4 hours? No way!!!!!!! You can, however, make your own for very cheap using a battery an inverter (as mentioned).

Anyway, HTH. It's just my personal experience.

I would thing the baterybackups they sell for sump pumps would be ideal for tank filters. They can operate a sump pump for hours, so a little 40 watt filter should be nothing.

edit: but I don't know if there are any you can plug into. perhaps a deep cycle battery and an inverter, like for a boat or RV?

Back
Top Bottom