Running dual overflows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterNuB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So tomorrow in going to be setting up my hob eshopp overflows on my 135 gallon tank. Is it best to have 1 in each corner back and return in the middle back?

If you're going to have waves (from circulation pump), then get one for the middle.

If no waves, then it does not matter IMO. It might make a difference between how you want to aquascape.

How deep into the inlet socks do you put the PVC?

I assume you mean where the waterflow comes from the tank into the sump. this can be kind of tricky while you make adjustments to the system depending on how it's plumbed. I beleive the general recommendation is to just below the water line. If you put them too deep into the water, air coming from the overflow can get trapped in the pipe until there is enough water pressure to force it out, creating a flushing effect along with a lot of noise at the overflow.

The way my sump was made, there was actually no pipe going into the sock. (I have an Eshopps sump.) There was just a little holder with a bulkhead in it that the pipe fastened onto. Using this method, you get noise at the sump end. I added some PVC below the bulkhead to help with this issue.

So I had to purchase new overflows because my other ones didn't fit between my tank and wall. My new ones are only drilled to hold .75" bulk heads. Is it ok to bush up to 1" PVC after bulkhead?

Back
Top Bottom