Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Running two external canisters inline

Hello all is it possible to run two fluval 306 in-line?

As follows

In take > fluval306 > fluval306 > Outlet

As I've taken my 125l tank offline and sticking to my 240l tank now.

Just wanted to have two running and keep rear hoses to a minimum which running more media on the filter.

I've got a spare 306 sitting here that's now just been unplugged this morning.

I have the following fish in 240l

1 plec 8"
10 neon tetras
4 salicin Molly
4 swordtails
3 albino Cory
1 unknown sucker fish
3 red tailed sharks
Around 30 adult guppies. And don't know how many fry in breeding tank.

This is why I'm looking on adding the second 306 in loop to tank as its a Roma 240 with pipe work already in place.

Current tetra 6in1 tests show

No3 10mg/l
No2 1mg/l
Gh 0
Kh 0
Ph 6.8
Cl2 0

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Old 07-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi there ,
This is just my opinion even though it sounds a good idea, The only problems that I can see if one of the filters start to clog up The second one will lose performance to, and if it's the first one that clogs The second one will be pushing out the water faster then it can fill from the first which may cause damage to the pump,
The best way to get Peak performance out of your filters is to run them separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #3

I've been looking at getting y connection between the hose and pump now you mentioned the issue I seen after posting it
Old 07-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #4

So outlet/outlet split using y connector then then it should be fail safe if one goes offline the other allows me to seek replacement also allows me to be able to take it offline to clean it out.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi there
i'm sort of understanding what you're saying by connecting the Y-connection from the both outlets I would imagine it would reduce the performance of your filters because of the two flows are being condensed down into one which will reduce the flow coming out of both filters,to some degree. and may cause problems with the pumps in long-term because they're pushing against more pressure .
So basically will work but not as good as running them separately. But also that possibility of wearing out the pumps quicker in the filters, as time will tell with that and can't guarantee that would happen.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:34 AM   #6

It might cause a little issue by should allow me to use one filter for polishing the water and other for biological so one will have less pressure coming out

Only in trial stage at the min. As still not decided to do it.

Just no info on cutting the tank. Also there is no option on the Roma to add one more filter on the left. As no pre-drilled holes but they sell the whole kit.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Running two external canisters inline

I would just give it a go but just keep your eye things and if it don't work just use it The regular why. Or if money is not an issue you could always sell those two on and get yourself a bigger external something like a fx6 would do a good job.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #8

Hi everyone,

I've run a separate test run of following config.

Outlet to y splitter to two fluval 306's
Inlet to y splitter to two fluval 306's

Only issue was with a leak on return due to a test I was using the 20mm hose between splitter and the outlet inlet on roma 240 which was a drip every 4 mins splitter was snug against hose but did not want to over tighten the clip as hose does not do well with letting you know if over tightened. Didn't want to shatter the plastic splitter. Brass if I could use them would be a lot better just unsure if possible.

Flow was doubled but not two fast.

So ordered two more ribbed hose from fluval spares list as are much better then plain tubbing. So considering it was a test it looked quite good.

Ohh on the testing side for tank I have it set just right for species that are in the tank as test strips from tetra are a little out on testing as water runs from one square to the other. Went to a different LFS an along with list of fish in tank and was told the ph and hardness is balanced between them all.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:23 PM   #9

Just wondering if the following configuration will work

Filter one

Filer sponges on side standard
tray 1 bio foam
Tray 2 Ceramic rings 400g under filter wool
Tray 3 Filter wool under Ammonia remover bag 400g

Filter two

Filter sponge on side

Tray 1 bio foam
Tray 2 Ceramic rings 400g under filter wool
Tray 3 Filter wool under Purigen 400g

Any other combinations welcomed as need to keep plants happy too. But not removing there needs too

Just weary of using the carbon around them as I have two bags here which I add once in a while too clean the water of unwanted items if needed.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #10

At current moment I've got 250g ammonia remover and 250g purigen in one filet and water is Crystal clear. Even with amount of fish it has in it. Possibly a little over stocked but we love being able to see fish in the tank and not having to try an see them.

Just some of them like to go hiding/ feeding amount the plants so at times the tank looked empty.

Tags
canister, external, line

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com