Safe salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rumor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was told recently by a friend that Windsor canning & pickling salt would be good to use in my tank as is has no added ingredients, the two pet shops in my area hardly carry anything for fish so I can't find any proper salt to use does anyone know if this is safe for my little fish buddies?
It is for a freshwater tank heh forgot that part. Just for baths/ich treatment is what I'm thinking about it for.

Sorry, think this is in the wrong spot, can someone move it to the proper place please.

Last edited:
I don't know what is in the canning and pickling salt but i would guess no it is probably not good to use in your tank. Salts are formulated to have a lot in there besides just salt. Calcium and Magnesium being a big two that i doubt would be in the canning and pickling salt. I would suggest buying your salt online if you can't find a good LFS that carries it.

I suspect this is to replace FW "aquarium salt"...

It is not needed. Your albino shark is basically scaleless and should be spared the salt content. In my opinion, you should really start by making sure you understand the nitrogen cycle. Once your tank is cycled, you should not need any additional minerals or potions to keep it healthy.

Back
Top Bottom