salt water to fresh water tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob28

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i found a deal i cant pass up. the only catch is that the tank used to be a salt water tank.
the guy claims that it used to be freshwater but currently has it set up as salt.
can it be used for fw again. any special instructions for doin so?

Chances are good that the substrate from a saltwater will not be suitable for fresh so that will need to be replaced. Otherwise a good cleaning should do the trick.

Sounds like a great time to cross over.. Your wallet will hate you but you'll never look back

Yeah make sure to scrap up the sides their might be coralline algae all over the sides and use water and vinegar no soap. Otherwise there should not be an issue changing it over.

Yeah make sure to scrap up the sides their might be coralline algae all over the sides and use water and vinegar no soap. Otherwise there should not be an issue changing it over.

yeah, ive not been on for a couple of days. in the time since, ive cleaned the inside with vinagar and water, filled and emptied twice, dropped in 150 lbs of sand, dropped in 2 fluval 405 canister filters, dropped in a 300 watt heater, and put in a thermometer, and filled it.

what size tank is it? sounds like things went smoothly. great now time to start cycling that baby and get it looking good!

How is the 300w heater holding up with a 150g?
Usually the rule of thumb is 3-5x W per G. But I've found the 300w to work for my 90g too.

How is the 300w heater holding up with a 150g?
Usually the rule of thumb is 3-5x W per G. But I've found the 300w to work for my 90g too.

i have the 300 watt in there but i also have a 100w in there to...seems to do the trick

Back
Top Bottom