saltwater canister for use in freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pantherspawn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a used canister filter that was previously used in a saltwater reef tank. To use it in a freshwater setup, are there anyspecial things I need to do to clean it up for use in a freshwater tank? I bought new hoses and cleaned out the trays, but what about cleaning out the internal workings of it? I don't wantt to damage any plants or fish with salt or algae that may exist in the motor.

I am not sure but I know that when a SW tank is made into a FW tank it has to be cleaned VERY EXTREMELY good because SW particles will be in every crack and crany also in the silicone seal.

I cleaned and scrubbed the tank with vinegar. Its had a fair amount of dry algae in it.

Also, its not going directly in a tank with fish.. going to out plants in it and start the cycle first.

I cleaned and scrubbed the tank with vinegar. Its had a fair amount of dry algae in it.

+1 for the vinegar scrub down.

After that I like to use baking soda to neutralize it, then rinse, rinse and rinse 2 more times. Good call on dumping hoses, etc. and you might want to run it on a bucket (spare tank) of cured water to flush it out before putting it on your tank IMO.

yeah i ended up filling up the bathtub and ran it in there for awhile before adding it to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom