Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Saltwater Lighting metal halide questions

Hello all, and thank you in advance to all who reply!

I'm a new a new user to this forum, and i've noticed quite a bit of useful information for a newbie like myself.

My situation.....

I plan on starting out a new SW 130g tank, but i'm hung up on the lighting. As an electrician i'm able to get ahold of regular "run of the mill" ballasts and metal halide lamps, there is no need for me to buy a lamp/ballast unit as I can wire the unit myself and build a fixture. I can pick up a 400w ballast for approx $70 cnd and a 400w bulb for $15 cnd

My question..... Will any old metal halide bulb work, or are some better than others? Will an ordanary MH bulb (250w or 400w) with a "K" rating between 10,000 - 20,000 harm aquatic life? Has this been done before or is there certain filters required for such bulbs?

Thank you for your time.

tvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

Originally Posted by tvor
Will an ordanary MH bulb (250w or 400w) with a "K" rating between 10,000 - 20,000 harm aquatic life?
I'm not an electrician, but the "K" rating refers to the "color/spectrum" of light.....the higher rating the more blue (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Wattage is what it takes to power the specific bulbs. This might be better in the General Hardware section of this site. So I will move it for you.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:51 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
If you have the means to build your own fixture, I don't see a reason why you cannot. I assume you know about the UV shield that is required, and things like that. I'm just starting to break into MH lighting msyelf. If you can build and wire your own fixture with ballast, reflectors, and bulbs then that's great.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Yes, you can use a run of the mill core and coil magnetic ballast on most MH bulbs. If you can get MH bulbs in the 10K to 20K for $15 cnd, let me know where so I can order a few. You can probably get a standard bulb, which is usually in the 4K range, really cheap, but for aquarium use you should use 10K or higher and those bulbs generally run $50 and up.
Just remember to match your wattage for both ballast and bulb. If you get a 400w ballast, you must use 400w bulbs. If that's a 6 foot tank, you should use 3 bulbs. You don't have to use 400w bulbs, 250w would be fine on a 6' tank. You only need to go with 400w if the tank is real deep (over 30").
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

halide, light, lighting, metal, metal halide, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com