Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

A quad bulb is questionable to raise lps. Highly doubt it would grow sps well. Have you thought of a larger bulb fixture? An 8 bulb fixture will grow anything.

Those oddyssea fixtures are hit or miss. I've had two ballasts fail on me within a month of each other. It will break down at some point. Just be careful.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've had/have 2 odysseas fixtures and have been satisfied with them both, at least for the price.

I have changed out the odyssea bulbs though for ATI ones which I feel really helped. I run 2 aquablue specials and 2 blue pluses in my 4 bulb fixtures and really like the color. I've gotten great growth with those bulbs too.

I think a 4 bulb fixture will do just fine for LPS and even some SPS, all gonna be reliant on where you place the corals and flow in the tank as well as the water parameters. If all those factors are in place then you should see some nice growth.

Good luck with your new light!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

well i think ill go for it. Thanks eveyone and ill watch it. Hopefully it wont blow. I have 1 powerhead rated for 225gph... Is this enough flow? Do i need another powerhead? I am looking at reef test kits? Which are the best brands? What tests do i need.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Another good light that i also have that is almost as cheap is this

fish need it;lights; food;Sponge

It has a much nicer look to it and the quality of the fixture is much better in my opinion.
I use a single koralia 425 in my 29g cube and it seems that and the return is good enough flow.

For a test kit i would look at the API saltwater master kit. It's about $20 or so online and has the following tests: ammonia, ph, nitrite, and nitrates. All the basics that you'll need to get started.
Once you start to stock corals I would suggest getting these test kits: phosphate, calcium, magnesium and alkalinity. I use salifert tests for these as the API isnt as easy to read or as accurate. red sea makes some test kits for them as well that I hear are pretty good and will cost a bit less than the saliferts.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool does your oddysea light have a timer on it?ill get the saliferts since you suggest them! Thanks .and about the powerhead now. Ive seen aqueon and koralia. Any quality build differences here?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have the timer on one of the odyssea lights and it works very well. the other didnt have it though. :-(

Me, personally, I dont like the aqueons. I have about a dozen or so of the koralias and decided to try the aqeuons...well the two that I got sucked. One kept falling off the tank wall and the other made so much noise i had to exchange it for another one which still makes a noise. :-(

I know several people, including Mr X like their aqeuons but for me they just didnt work out. lol The koralias also have a magnetic backing too as well as the suction cup thing so I have never ever had one fall off. i also use them for mixing saltwater in my garbage cans because of that little magnet.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
Fish R friends, not food!

I just bought the cheap digital timers at walmart. One for the blues, one for the whites and I just leave the led's on all the time.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Corallife digital timers are like $30, but they're great. I've got 3 of them on my tank. Didn't need three, but got a couple with my upgrade to my 180.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

How many corals can you keep in a tank?what inhabitants should i look into? I like the clownfish, dottyback, firefish, butterflyfish, yellow tangs(cant keep them), lawnmower blenny, and goby fish.... Which could i keep together

Tags
coral, corals, light, lighting, lps, reef, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com