Saltwater reef lightingfor lps corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZacksFlowerhorn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im thinking of getting a quad t5 24in. Fixture with 96 watts for my 28gllon, 16inch deep,24 inch deep, and 12-15 inch from front to back(bowfront). So is this enough lighting for keeping lps corals nd maybe some sps corals?? It comes with 2 10000k and 2 actinic bulbs. Any suggestions on what bulb combinations for beinvg able to keep lps and sps corals? Ive seen the 18000k bulbs at my lfs and their 50% off! So any combos are appreciated too.(y):D:) i have 6 lbs of live rock but ill be getting more and stacking it high for my high light corals to be on the top near the light.

I think that would be plenty of light for a mostly LPS dominant tank, and some SPS should be OK higher up in the water column too.

Thank you sooo much!! I have another light thats 18 watts that ill add to it to make it 4wpg... But yeah so just use the stock lights?

If your buying the light brand new, than I would just use them until they go bad, about 1 year. After that I would go with ATI brand, 2 aqua blue specials( whites ) and 2 aqua blue plus ( actinics).
These are what I use, the whites will have a little less yellow than 10,000k's, gives a slightly more blue look.

Ok thanks! Ive heard of the marine land reef ready led system? Is that gooc? Is it bright enough for my needs? J/w

ZacksFlowerhorn123 said:
Ok thanks! Ive heard of the marine land reef ready led system? Is that gooc? Is it bright enough for my needs? J/w

The marineland reef LEDs aren't very powerful at all. Their name is very misleading. It can support softies in shallow tanks, but that's about it.

Ok thanks so not that one. I am getting the odyssea t5 quad lamp HO fixture (24inch) its like $80 shipped. Will this be fine?

It comes with 2 actinics and 2 10000k bulbs. But it says it has like 4 plug in cords??? It alaso has 4 moonlight Leds.

One cord is for the actinics, 1 for the fan, 1 for the whites, and 1 for the moons.

A quad bulb is questionable to raise lps. Highly doubt it would grow sps well. Have you thought of a larger bulb fixture? An 8 bulb fixture will grow anything.

Those oddyssea fixtures are hit or miss. I've had two ballasts fail on me within a month of each other. It will break down at some point. Just be careful.

I've had/have 2 odysseas fixtures and have been satisfied with them both, at least for the price. :)

I have changed out the odyssea bulbs though for ATI ones which I feel really helped. I run 2 aquablue specials and 2 blue pluses in my 4 bulb fixtures and really like the color. I've gotten great growth with those bulbs too.

I think a 4 bulb fixture will do just fine for LPS and even some SPS, all gonna be reliant on where you place the corals and flow in the tank as well as the water parameters. If all those factors are in place then you should see some nice growth.

Good luck with your new light!

well i think ill go for it. Thanks eveyone and ill watch it. Hopefully it wont blow. I have 1 powerhead rated for 225gph... Is this enough flow? Do i need another powerhead? I am looking at reef test kits? Which are the best brands? What tests do i need.

Another good light that i also have that is almost as cheap is this

fish need it;lights; food;Sponge

It has a much nicer look to it and the quality of the fixture is much better in my opinion.
I use a single koralia 425 in my 29g cube and it seems that and the return is good enough flow.

For a test kit i would look at the API saltwater master kit. It's about $20 or so online and has the following tests: ammonia, ph, nitrite, and nitrates. All the basics that you'll need to get started.
Once you start to stock corals I would suggest getting these test kits: phosphate, calcium, magnesium and alkalinity. I use salifert tests for these as the API isnt as easy to read or as accurate. red sea makes some test kits for them as well that I hear are pretty good and will cost a bit less than the saliferts.

:-D

Cool does your oddysea light have a timer on it?ill get the saliferts since you suggest them! Thanks .and about the powerhead now. Ive seen aqueon and koralia. Any quality build differences here?

I have the timer on one of the odyssea lights and it works very well. the other didnt have it though. :-(

Me, personally, I dont like the aqueons. I have about a dozen or so of the koralias and decided to try the aqeuons...well the two that I got sucked. One kept falling off the tank wall and the other made so much noise i had to exchange it for another one which still makes a noise. :-(

I know several people, including Mr X like their aqeuons but for me they just didnt work out. lol The koralias also have a magnetic backing too as well as the suction cup thing so I have never ever had one fall off. i also use them for mixing saltwater in my garbage cans because of that little magnet. :)

I just bought the cheap digital timers at walmart. One for the blues, one for the whites and I just leave the led's on all the time.

The Corallife digital timers are like $30, but they're great. I've got 3 of them on my tank. Didn't need three, but got a couple with my upgrade to my 180.

How many corals can you keep in a tank?what inhabitants should i look into? I like the clownfish, dottyback, firefish, butterflyfish, yellow tangs(cant keep them), lawnmower blenny, and goby fish.... Which could i keep together

Back
Top Bottom