Saltwater Refugium or Non-Refugium Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eatsomepopcorn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am setting up a 180g Saltwater FOWLR. I have been weighing the pros/cons of canister, regular sump (bio balls, skimmer), and Refugium (mud/rock,algae, skimmer). Depending upon who you talk to they recommend and swear by one vs the other. Can someone run down the pros/cons of all three approaches, if there is a other approach, that too.

From what i've gathered from here is canister filters are good for fresh water set ups, sump/refugiums are needed for salt water to break down nitrates better.

Sump/Refugium would be alot better then a Canister Filter IMO. You can add whatever you want to that sump. Have as many sections to do different things and IMO breaks down nitrates alot better.

The question is for a FOWLR, do I really need to go the whole 9 yards and refugium or can I just sump. I want to walk before I run and do "just enough" nothing less than what I need and nothing more than what I need.

Well, Being FOWLR and all, You may as well have as much LR you can get in that sump. So i'd go all out and get a big sump with as much LR, Macro Algae, LS.

Danny, this sounds like more than 'just enough'. How does one determine what the "just enough" level is. I understand for a reef tank the bar for "just enough" is higher, but I am thinking for a FOWLR that I could get away with a sump or for that matter a pair of good canister filters such as FX5.

No, You prob cannot. Because you feed the fish and the fish do there thing, There is nothing to break it down? Besides that cannister filter, Which will need cleaning once a week to do any good. LR is the best way of filtering nitrates. But do what you want, im saying a sump with as much LR you can get in it would do the trick.

Ok, I am just trying to stay clear of a true refugium where you put mud, algae, lighting system and the full works. I can deal with a protein skimmer, some live rock and maybe a sock or pad that is easily cleaned. I run a fluval 305 on a 44g FOWLR and keep the nitrates at around 10ppm cleaning canister every 4-6 weeks. The ceramic and the live rock I have in the tank seem to do the job. Thanks for your input.

You wont need to add mud, And you wont need full on lighting, you'll be able to use any sort of lighting as macro algae grows with anything really. You can have a big section with a deep sand bed and as much LR you can put in there and some Macro Algae? And maybe a sponge or two? But LR is your best option.

You do not have to really have a refuge or sump for a reef either. I do have one but there is no rule you must have one. As far as the sump and refuge the pros are added water volume which is a good thing and for the refuge nutrient exportation to cut back on excessive nutrients. I dont have any cons except maybe the cost to set one up. I see no reason why a sump will not suffice for your FOWLR tank. It does not have to be a tank as a good rubbermaid tub will suffice.

Back
Top Bottom