Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Exclamation Saltwater Tank

Hi everyone.I sold my 20 g tank and today I just got a new tank and I'm planing to get a few Ocellaris Clowns , but the problem is.. i never had a saltwater tank. This what i have. 35g aquarium, water filter, double air pump, LED lamp, heater. Do I need something else ? I also have a few questions about saltwater. I heard petstores sale packages to make a saltwater is that true? So if anybody would provide me with more info like step by step I would be Veryyy veryyy apresiative! Thanks for looking =)

Old 12-02-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Petstores do sell salt in packages but there are several brands and a couple of types within some brands. You need something to test the specific gravity and also the basic ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and ph. If you add any type of chemicals to your tank make sure you can test for it. Make sure you have a clear idea of what you want before you start.

The best advice is go slow and don't rush.
Welcome

Old 12-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks Joy but i'm still lil confusing by all these stuff , what brand of saltwater package should i buy? Should I get some special water or its ok to mix a regular water ? How can i check the basic ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and ph I mean what tools do u use guys?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

The only thing you need right now is patience and a good book. Seriously, I can almost hear the enthusiasm in your voice. Try to get Robert Fenner's "Conscientious marine Aquarist" book to read. It's a bit old now, so scratch the part about cycling with fish. Look thru our articles at this site for a bit to get your bearings also.

Ya gotta go slow and learn a thing or two before you buy ANYTHING else. Your questions tell me you haven't the slightest understanding of saltwater aquaria yet. And belive me, I completely understand your enthusiasm, but it will get you into trouble or broke and could casue you to not pursue the hobby.

Get right and do a lot of reading. Even your future questions will be more focused and benefit you (and us ) more.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, Welcome to AA!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Be2lose
YES! get a book. There are lots of books out there, I have one by Jeffrey Kurtz called The Simple Guide to Marine Aquarium. I like it and still refer to it every now and then.

As said take it slow.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What I do is is research everything online since I can cross reference everything a couple of different times. Since your tank is only 35 gallons start by googling nano reef tanks or nano marine tanks. Make sure before you buy anything else research it completely find any reviews. If you don't take it slow you can waste $1000 without a problem not to scare you but it can happen easily especially with fish and corals.
List of things to google marine liquid test kits (don't use strips), RO/DI water and aptaisa.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here area a few articles that you should read:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ticles/?Page=2

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com