Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sand

I guess this would be the forum to post under. I want to convert my 75 gallon goldfish fish tank from gravel substrate to sand however I dont want to spend the money on aquarium sand since I've been doing research and was told play sand, silica sand and pool filter sand were all cheaper options. I want to go with pool filter sand as I've heard its easier to prepare for the tank and doesn't cloud up like other sands. I found this and just wanted to see if anyone can tell me if it is good sand for the project, Aqua Quartz® 50lbs Pool Filter Sand (61308) - Pool Maintenance Equipment - Ace Hardware. If anyone has an advice on the task I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm very excited to make the big change!

Old 03-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good to me! I think I used the same stuff.. I really like it, easy to clean, I made a long siphon tube so I can hit it withou sucking it all out of the tank. I washed it in a bucket in my tub by running water and stirring it with my hand until the water ran out clear..

Old 03-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Did you take your fish out of the tank when you did it or did you keep them in. I've been looking up a lot of videos and have seen it both ways. Just want to do it the easiest least stressful way for my fish.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I washed in the bucket as well , but did it outside with a garden hose. I would not want any of the sediment ( and there was lots) in my plumbing.

125 Gallon , 55 Gal FW Community
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishLover123 View Post
Did you take your fish out of the tank when you did it or did you keep them in. I've been looking up a lot of videos and have seen it both ways. Just want to do it the easiest least stressful way for my fish.
i took my fish out and tore down the whole tank, I couldn't imagine performing this task with a stocked tank, I'd feel to guilty over stressing the fish, I than sucked all my old gravel out with a shop vac, easy peasy!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I'm going to have to order my sand! I'm very excited for the big change, I'll post before/afters!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why do you need to order it? I used play sand from home depot, 2.48$ per 50lbs. Looks very good IMHO

125 Gallon , 55 Gal FW Community
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrasyuk View Post
Why do you need to order it? I used play sand from home depot, 2.48$ per 50lbs. Looks very good IMHO
pool filter sand is different from play sand..
Old 03-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I get my sand from my local pool supply store. Almost every town has one. Check nearby and you could have the sand today.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I decided to go with pool filter sand because its cleaner so I'd have to do less to prepare it and clouds up much less than play sand. It is a bit more expensive and is harder to find in stores but for me the easier the better.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com