Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishLover123

Aquarium Advice Regular
I guess this would be the forum to post under. I want to convert my 75 gallon goldfish fish tank from gravel substrate to sand however I dont want to spend the money on aquarium sand since I've been doing research and was told play sand, silica sand and pool filter sand were all cheaper options. I want to go with pool filter sand as I've heard its easier to prepare for the tank and doesn't cloud up like other sands. I found this and just wanted to see if anyone can tell me if it is good sand for the project, Aqua Quartz® 50lbs Pool Filter Sand (61308) - Pool Maintenance Equipment - Ace Hardware. If anyone has an advice on the task I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm very excited to make the big change! :thanks:

Sounds good to me! I think I used the same stuff.. I really like it, easy to clean, I made a long siphon tube so I can hit it withou sucking it all out of the tank. I washed it in a bucket in my tub by running water and stirring it with my hand until the water ran out clear..

Did you take your fish out of the tank when you did it or did you keep them in. I've been looking up a lot of videos and have seen it both ways. Just want to do it the easiest least stressful way for my fish.

I washed in the bucket as well , but did it outside with a garden hose. I would not want any of the sediment ( and there was lots) in my plumbing.

Did you take your fish out of the tank when you did it or did you keep them in. I've been looking up a lot of videos and have seen it both ways. Just want to do it the easiest least stressful way for my fish.
i took my fish out and tore down the whole tank, I couldn't imagine performing this task with a stocked tank, I'd feel to guilty over stressing the fish, I than sucked all my old gravel out with a shop vac, easy peasy!

Well I'm going to have to order my sand! I'm very excited for the big change, I'll post before/afters!

I get my sand from my local pool supply store. Almost every town has one. Check nearby and you could have the sand today.

I decided to go with pool filter sand because its cleaner so I'd have to do less to prepare it and clouds up much less than play sand. It is a bit more expensive and is harder to find in stores but for me the easier the better.

I called around and none of them had it in store, plus it is more expensive at pool stores. I cant do it right away anyways because of my work schedule so for me waiting a couple days isnt a big deal.

Ok, so I've been doing a lot of reading up on the subject and there are a ton of different opinions. Anyone who has done this process themselves please chime in. I have heard from some people that you should do a little bit at a time to avoid freaking your fish out too much then others said they did it all at once to not drag out the stress. Both theories hold water in my opinion so if anyone could help tip the scales one way or another that would be greatly appreciated!

I've had my tank for about 5 years now with gravel and have given much thought about converting to sand this year. Just wondering the best way to do it. and how to move the fish since 3 are as big as (if not bigger than) the net I have.

Would love to see the Before & After shots

I will definately post before/afters! I am very excited about the change just cant wait to get it over with so I dont have to think about it so much!

i use pfs from lowes...~$6 after tax

rinsed in a large bucket until no cloudiness and all smaller particles were gone...

emptied half the tank water, all of the decorations, and almost all of the old substrate (leave some for bb and what not)...fish stay in...

*turn off filtration...

add sand with an 1 liter or so container...just lower it in and empty...no clouding and all sinks instantly due to the rinsing...

add decorations back into tank...refill (use a plate if desired to not splash sand around)...resume filtration...

it's not much different than any other pwc to the fish and they get a new substrate they can play with...

My fear would be removing the old substrate and the mess that might mix up.

I've read you can trim a milk jug as a shovel with holes in the lid to let the water out while just removing the gravel.

*I've been thinking of it since Thanksgiving of last year when i finally bought a canister filter. Almost went out around Christmas but then figured that would be lots of trips to the tub since using hose water would be too cold for the sand. I'd want to rinse it in water temp floe so there is no drastic temp change.

If really recommend moving your fish into a holding tub with a heater and air stone, my substrate was only 3 months old and the amount of crap in it was astounding.. I'd be nervous to poison the fish with all that mess, your substrate does not contain all that much bb, most if it resides in your filter. As long as you keep the filter damp in tank water than removing all your substrate and wiping down the whole tank will be fine. I sucked all my substrate out with a shop vac and it was a breeze.. Added the fish and filters back, no problems, smooth as could be..

As far as my bb goes I was planning on putting gravel in mesh bags and leaving that in for a few weeks to help keep things running smooth. But I am kind of leaning toward taking the old substrate out a few days prior to adding the sand so all the muck can settle down/be vacuumed. I think I'm going to play it by ear as far as whether or not I'll be removing my fish or not.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Before and after! It went great! I removed all the gravel about a week ago and let my tank settle down then yesterday I put the sand and decorations in. My fish were stressed a bit but nothing terrible. I think it would have been much more stressful to have removed them from the tank in all honesty. I just cannot get over what a huge difference it makes in the appearance of my tank! Plus my goldies seem to really love sifting through the sand! Couldnt be any happier with my decision. I used the pool filter sand and it was so great to work with, cleaned quickly, sank right to the bottom and hardly clouded up the tank at all. Very happy to have had such a great experience with this!

Attachments

• 20131011_194733 (2).jpg
    20131011_194733 (2).jpg
    254 KB · Views: 110
  • 20131011_194747.jpg
    20131011_194747.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 20140413_110446.jpg
    20140413_110446.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 20140413_110454.jpg
    20140413_110454.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 127
Wow. Looks nice! Now I really want to do that with my tank. I asked at Lowes for PFS but they were confused and pointed me to the play sand. I looked over there earlier in case they stuck it there.

So removed the gravel. Wait. Add the sand. All while leaving the fish in there?

And I'd need to get some more plants in mine.

Back
Top Bottom