Sand and no gravel...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douglas4701

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am very pleased with my decision to go with sand instead of gravel... Gravel is icky and nasty and full of sh-t.. Literally... I understand the issues sand can cause if not properly stirred time to time. Fish appear happier too... Especially aratus.

Douglas4701 said:
I am very pleased with my decision to go with sand instead of gravel... Gravel is icky and nasty and full of sh-t.. Literally... I understand the issues sand can cause if not properly stirred time to time. Fish appear happier too... Especially aratus.

Good to hear it! When i switched to sand i was afraid of the gas bubbles too, but if you have live plants and snails it will take care of itself.

TAbruzzi said:
how to you remove wastes uneaten foods and such with sand? wont a siphon pull it up?

Don't plunge the siphon into the sand like you would with gravel instead swirl it in small circles above the surface and it will stir up any waste from the surface of the sand allowing the siphon to suck it up without disturbing the sand bed too much.

It siphons perfectly. I was afraid at first too. I am about to start a new thread about siphons but siphons work just fine. It's easier for me to keep clean. I plunge the siphon into the sand slowly... And it gets everything. Plus check out my siphon thread...

Back
Top Bottom