Sand? Using Play Sand in Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I looked for black blasting sand (black beauty) including Black Diamond, but found nobody with it. I had to go with play sand.

Bummer. I like the way it looks! We found ours at tractor supply co

Not sure where you are/of there is one near you. Super cheap. It was 7.99 for a 50lb bag

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nahhh, just suck up everything then throw it back in when you're done.
Saves the useless hassle.
Wouldn't this just mix the waste with the sand and then get placed back into the tank together? Or am I misunderstanding?

I gently run something above the sand. Just enough to get the "crud" floating then suck it up with the hose. Or like someone else said just use it a few inches above

Wouldn't this just mix the waste with the sand and then get placed back into the tank together? Or am I misunderstanding?

Well the waste is larger than the grains of sand, it also is more buoyant.
When I tip the water, the waste goes with it and the sand gets left in the bucket.
I just scoop the sand back into the tank.

I looked for black blasting sand (black beauty) including Black Diamond, but found nobody with it. I had to go with play sand.
That's too bad! I've heard that black blasting sand is awesome. I'll probably try it on my next tank.. Did you check building material stores? Another idea is to check with auto body and paint shops to see if they know where to get some.

In regards to play sand, I use it. It's the only sand I've ever used. It does take time to rinse, but once you figure out your method, it's easy. Some people complain that the play sand can look dirty because the grains are very small and there are tiny pebbles that stick out. I like it because it looks more natural and my cichlids love it either way. :)

I gently run something above the sand. Just enough to get the "crud" floating then suck it up with the hose. Or like someone else said just use it a few inches above
That is pretty much what I do as well.

I find that pool filter sand(PFS) is a lot easier to deal with. Since the grains are fairly large it doesn't get sucked in as easily.

Did you try Tractor Supply? Your profile didn't say where you were, so apologies if you already did.

Northern Tool (used to be Northern Hydraulic) has it, but around here only the fine (which is REALLY fine).

I use the play sand. I didn't find it to hard to clean. I used super hot water and stirred at the same time. Very important to put the sand in gently so not to stir up to much in Your tank. I am very glad I chose sand.

I think the person who "does this" was being a comodian.

Bummer. I like the way it looks! We found ours at tractor supply co

Not sure where you are/of there is one near you. Super cheap. It was 7.99 for a 50lb bag

We just now got both a Tractor Supply and then a Northern Tool in the last few months. I checked the Harbor Freight, but somebody had cleaned them out. Nobody else I checked even carried anything of the sort. I may make another run for it before long.

I paid 3.50 for a 50 lb bag of play sand at Home Depot. :)

I use playsand in my aquarium. Just make sure you wash it a few times to get excess dirt or debris off of it.

My fish and snails like the sand. I always see the snails digging around in it and burying themselves.

Well I did it. I went with play sand in the end as I wouldn't even know where to start with tracking down pool filter sand as I'm in the Uk and we don't seem to have an abundance of people with home pools over here ?. I made sure to clean it really well. Did the half a bucket of sand method and filled the rest with water. Gave it a stir and chucked anything that didn't settle within a few second. Was a bit murky to start with but it soon cleared over night. It looks brilliant now. Also bought 2 horse faced loaches to churn it all up. My snails seem to love it and also my clown loaches are constantly snuffling around in it. I'm learning to clean it with my syphon without sucking up half the tank lol. I find it easier to clean than stones as there's no where for the nasty stuff to creep down into. It all just kinda sits on top. So it's a win win for everybody. Thanks for the advice guys. :)

Pool filter sand is very cheap and clean, I use it. Costs something like 10 bucks for 50 pounds

Yeah it seems cleaner to me. Yeah you can see the stuff - but eventually it gets eaten by my bottom feeders- where I know with gravel it wouldn't. I have lots of pregnant guppies that go crazy at meals. It's and easier judge I think if you are over feeding or not with the sand

That's a good point. It is easier to see if there's any food left over at feeding time on the sand. Where as with stone It'll just blend in and sink between. :)

Yknow what, I'm fed up with Play Sand.

I've been looking at other tanks using Pool Filter Sand and I want it...

I plan on picking up a 25kg bag for my 60G, sucking out the Play Sand and adding in the PFS.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410027326.192767.jpgthis is what the black blasting looks like in mine

Back
Top Bottom