Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

should my water be cycling??? while the silt manages to settle. filters on???

Old 02-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

i completely understand your thoughts on the 20 gallon. theyre not dempsey's however, i have two electric blue haps. my pet store has numerous displays and i plan on handing over a green sev and the two haps to him. i feel comfortable doing so.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would turn your filters on yes this will circulate water and the sand will settle. To cycle the tank after you see clearer water. Take a raw UNCOOKED shrimp and place it in a baggie with holes punched in it. Put the baggie in your tank this will start the nitrogen cycle. The cycle will end when you see 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and a small reading of nitrate. Then you are all set to start adding some fish. The rams need mature water so I would suggest getting some others to start. You will also want some FW test kits. Get the liquid tests rather than test strips. The cycle will take a while so just be patient it will pay off in the end!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

my nitrate and nitrite and ammonia levels are at ZERO because of my well water. i didnt go through the whole nitrate cycle that exstensively with my 20 gallon and everything is going good. how long should i let my water cycle b4 adding any fish. i dont expect my ammonia levels to jump over .5 so im confident in having good water chemistry, the ph is also all set but explain the hardness and softness of water to me, how much does it effect your fish?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Some fish prefer harder or softer water. So that really depends on the fish and conditions you are going for. As far as your parameters. Everything is at zero because you have not started any sort of breakdown/cycle. You need to cycle before adding fish. Your well water is not ready to go out of the faucet. I am not going to go into depth on the well water because my parents have it I dont so... I do know that well water is generally harder than city water. Unless you use a water softener. You might still need to add a dechlorinator some sort of water conditioner! You more than likely still have metals in the water just from the pipes in the house. I.e Copper and so on. So any how toss a shrimp or two in a baggie put em in your tank and monitor the readings you are getting. Read up on the nitrogen cycle as well it will help you better understand. As far as fish and hard / soft water its up to you on what fish you get and how you are going to either soften or harden the water. This is a good site to look at what fish you are going to get and what water they prefer... Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums
Old 02-22-2009, 12:33 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

okay, thanks so much for all of the input, time can only tell how successful i will be. hopefully everything works out. thanks thanks thanks

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com