Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Fishlover3578 View Post
Freshwater tanks water from water changes are great for flowers lol my flowers were awesome this year
Agreed, however the general theme of this thread shows a complete disregard for the environment, yes I water my flowers with tank water, the nitrates are good food which by my experience provide phenomenal growth. I don't agree with polluting the environment with faecal matter and general detritus that accumulates in any system. The quick syphon change is perfectly fine, put that anywhere on land you own. I wish to neither aid or assist in such practices.

Small differences can decimate micro ecosystems, this is why we have nature reserves to protect areas from human intervention. Fish in the wrong river, plants in the wrong environment, bacteria which native species are unable to cope with, can have serious, detrimental, long term if not irreversible effects on nature.

Quick maths on 100 litre tank receiving two weekly water changes of 25 litres is 2600 litres per year per tank. 572 imp gal, 687 US liquid gal.

This will easily make its way to the water table beneath and into any nearby river systems.

Proposed water in room, 310 imp gals, 372 US liquid or 1409 litres=352 litres per change at 25% on all systems.

That equals 36,608 litres, 8052 imp gal or 9670 US liquid gallons per year. On a twice weekly 25% change for the complete set up annually.

FW-750L DIY, 120L, 2x110L(not my)DIY. BW-60L DIY. Sw (nearly!)(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html)
^almost a DIY Fish House^ https://m.youtube.com/user/4tanks2day (L=litre)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
actually thinking about it since you stress the point, it'll be less work and barely any difference in convenience for me to just stick the end of the waste pipe out the door, into the shower in the bathroom next door (when I do changes, with some flexible tubing instead of fixed piping) than fit a standpipe to outside

it is coming along, we have the necessary pipes, some of the holes drilled and the necessary places measured and exposed. built a frame and put a 200l loft tank on it, couple more weekends, a few more purchases and I should be ready to get a big-*** new aquarium to use it with.

I'm thinking the Aqua One Aquience 1500R and then get the 1800R later for the reef assuming I like the first one

Ap0ll0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok update - water tank is plumbed in and fillable. New 400 litre aquarium coming on thurs

Going to try and get the substrate and non-living decor sorted this weekend and then fill it. To that end I will require a pump to pump the water from the holding/prep tank into the aquarium - some sort of inline non-submersible pump would be ideal, something that basically has an in and an out - from a quick scan of forums sounds like a small pond pump would be what I want - can anyone recommend one?

I also still need to order a RODI unit so also could do with recommendations (general advice or specific brands/models)

Ap0ll0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com