Santa is Bringing me the RKE Controller!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, it's pretty clear that santa is getting me this controller.

Reef Keeper ELITE V2 System by Digital Aquatics - AquaCave

Has anyone else gotten this one and what was it really like? I've read all the owners manuals online so I have a pretty definite idea on how I am going to use it. I also watched the BRS video on programming it which makes it seem so easy! lol I even bought a netbook so I can have my own computer for my tank stuff. :)

What I want to know are there any surprises in programming it or getting firmware updates or anything weird?

This will be hooked up to my 125g reef tank and if this controller is all that it's supposed to be, I want to try to hook up my next build of my 60g rimless coral tank. :)

Thats another great question, has anyone used any controllers to monitor and control multiple tanks?

Thanks everyone, let me know what you think! I am so very excited, I can't wait for Christmas morning. I think I will be playing with it for the whole day.

C'mon someone has to have this controller? LOL

Or did everyone go with the apex instead? Hehe....

I'd like to know what modules others have installed and especially the moon light pods...I have no idea how many I need for a 6 foot tank. :)

carey said:
So, it's pretty clear that santa is getting me this controller.

Reef Keeper ELITE V2 System by Digital Aquatics - AquaCave

Has anyone else gotten this one and what was it really like? I've read all the owners manuals online so I have a pretty definite idea on how I am going to use it. I also watched the BRS video on programming it which makes it seem so easy! lol I even bought a netbook so I can have my own computer for my tank stuff. :)

What I want to know are there any surprises in programming it or getting firmware updates or anything weird?

This will be hooked up to my 125g reef tank and if this controller is all that it's supposed to be, I want to try to hook up my next build of my 60g rimless coral tank. :)

Thats another great question, has anyone used any controllers to monitor and control multiple tanks?

Thanks everyone, let me know what you think! I am so very excited, I can't wait for Christmas morning. I think I will be playing with it for the whole day.

Ihsve the lite and it's awesome. Gonna do the up grade soon

Its soo expensive though lol I thought of getting one but then I thought I could set up another nano with the money lol I'm so cheap.

Congrats! Merry Christmas! I bet you can't wait to get it and see what it can do, you will have to let us know some of the cool things it can do. :)

From what I've read and researched it should be able to do just about anything as long as the device or equipment plugs in. :)

Just curious if anyone has had any issues or anything at all. It's a BIG expense and I want as much information as possible before the boyfriend plunks down well over $300. LOL

I'm hoping to get the sl2 module soon so I can monitor salinity as well. Plus I want the moonlight controllers but have no idea how many lights I'd need. I have no moonlights on any of my tanks and am so excited that i may finally get some. lol

If it really does work like advertised I may upgrade to the net model, you can control and monitor your tank when youre not even there! turn off lights, pumps etc... would be excellent for those that go out of town for a few days. I'm just hoping it is as user friendly as it looks in the BRS video. Those guys made it look like it was stupid simple. lol

carey said:
From what I've read and researched it should be able to do just about anything as long as the device or equipment plugs in. :)

Just curious if anyone has had any issues or anything at all. It's a BIG expense and I want as much information as possible before the boyfriend plunks down well over $300. LOL

I'm hoping to get the sl2 module soon so I can monitor salinity as well. Plus I want the moonlight controllers but have no idea how many lights I'd need. I have no moonlights on any of my tanks and am so excited that i may finally get some. lol

If it really does work like advertised I may upgrade to the net model, you can control and monitor your tank when youre not even there! turn off lights, pumps etc... would be excellent for those that go out of town for a few days. I'm just hoping it is as user friendly as it looks in the BRS video. Those guys made it look like it was stupid simple. lol

It is I figured it out so very simple. Their manuel sucks though. Go on google to find out how anythg works. I have had great experience with their codtomer customer service

It is I figured it out so very simple. Their manuel sucks though. Go on google to find out how anythg works. I have had great experience with their codtomer customer service

Thanks for the input! It seems very easy to use just wanted a person who actually had one to chime in. lol Glad their support is good, you never know :) Only 5 more days til I get it! woot woot!

Do you have the moon light module by chance? I was told that 2 or 3 pods would be enough to light a 6 foot tank and that just seems like not enough to me...

carey said:
Thanks for the input! It seems very easy to use just wanted a person who actually had one to chime in. lol Glad their support is good, you never know :) Only 5 more days til I get it! woot woot!

Do you have the moon light module by chance? I was told that 2 or 3 pods would be enough to light a 6 foot tank and that just seems like not enough to me...

I have two blues on a 4ft tank and going to add two whites DI 3 would be best. I just found out mt kids are getting me upgrade for Xmas

Yay for christmas! lol So three should do it hmmm....nice....

My LFS suggested I put in 2 blues, 2 whites and 2 reds and to ramp them up at different times. Apparently they are dimmable too! ? Not sure what i woudl do with those 3 colors though and even when I would ramp them up. lol

Congrats on your gift
I just got mine setup on Saturday, just trying to fine tune it and some items came up missing and broken, i am picking them up tomorrow, now i am trying to see if i should buy the net module, just dont know if its worth it.

I debated the same thing and in the end I choose no net module. I mean how often am I really gonna need remote access to my tanks? lol I am hoping to setup failsafes as well so the setup should automatically do what i would do remotely. Like if the Ph gets too high I will have the ATO stop so it doesnt put any more kalk laced top off water into the system. If the temperature goes out of whack i can have the controller just turn off the heater, no need to tell it remotely. :)

carey said:
I debated the same thing and in the end I choose no net module. I mean how often am I really gonna need remote access to my tanks? lol I am hoping to setup failsafes as well so the setup should automatically do what i would do remotely. Like if the Ph gets too high I will have the ATO stop so it doesnt put any more kalk laced top off water into the system. If the temperature goes out of whack i can have the controller just turn off the heater, no need to tell it remotely. :)

How much is the price difference?

I agree with carey, but when its all said and done, are you a reef junkie that need to just see what your tanks(s) are doing? As for myself i would like to setup maybe a cam instead...lol..
Ibrahim the cost is 119.00.
what do you think? worth it or not ?

I also took into account the fact that I would need another outlet module and the moonlighting module. I hope to get the SL2 module as well so I can monitor my salinity. In the end if this thing works out as well in real life as it seems to on paper I want to hook up another tank to it. :)

The moonlighting module is just pods that hook up to the RKE adna re controllable through that. :)

@Carey, I have a brand new RKL with another PC4 sitting in a box. Marine Depot was having a huge sale earlier this month and I got:
ReefKeeper Lite + SL1 Expansion Unit w/ FREE pH Probe for $189.99
Digital Aquatics RKM-PC4 for $89.99

I was hoping for the NET module, but that alone is quite expensive.
Now I see the Apex JR is available with the built web server. I need to add the pH probe and another 4 outlet, but this unit seems to be easier to setup AND i get to check on things from the office, or be alerted if something goes out of whack by text message a/o email.

So I will be returning the RKL and waiting for M-D to get the Apex JR in stock. If I could get a full refund instead of a credit I would buy the Apex at a place that has them in stock.

Just throwing it out there as something you may want to look at. Good luck and thank that boyfriend of yours for a very nice present.

Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom