Saveable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a 45 gallon aquarium from craigslist, it really needs some TLC! It came with a filter, and it had some kind of fungus/mold covered thing at the bottom of one of the compartments and it looks pretty bad... I was wondering if it was worth trying to save. :thanks:

Attachments

• P7260009[1].jpg
    P7260009[1].jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 89
  • P7260010[1].jpg
    P7260010[1].jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 82
the filter looks like a topfin,if it is,dont bother trying. they are crummy and very loud

Why not try to save the filter since you already have it, just clean it with a mild bleach/water solution and use it then if you decide to switch filters you can transfer the media over.

HUKIT said:
Why not try to save the filter since you already have it, just clean it with a mild bleach/water solution and use it then if you decide to switch filters you can transfer the media over.

That's what I was going to do because it's like $40 saved if I do, and thanks for the instructions!

That's what I was going to do because it's like $40 saved if I do, and thanks for the instructions!

I grew up with loud and noisy filters and the constant bubbling of UGV with airstones, you guys don't know how good you've got it. It's nice to see someone excited saving a buck. Good luck and let us know how it works out(you did try plugging it in right?).

I grew up with loud and noisy filters and the constant bubbling of UGV with airstones, you guys don't know how good you've got it. It's nice to see someone excited saving a buck. Good luck and let us know how it works out(you did try plugging it in right?).
I have a few filters like the ones you said you grew up with and a few airstones that still make that noise... and no I haven't plugged it in yet. I spent today tearing out everything from the aquarium and started to clean off the hood. I will check tomorrow!(y)

I'm with hukit... Besides it looks like mineral deposits.. I'd totally save it and u will have an extra one if u buy a new filter :)

Flossie said:
I'm with hukit... Besides it looks like mineral deposits.. I'd totally save it and u will have an extra one if u buy a new filter :)

Flossie- Well there was some fungus stuff in the bottom of one of the places where the media goes as well as the mineral deposits.
HUKIT- I just checked to see if it worked, and it does!
Just put the filter in a tub with 5ish gallons of water and 1 cup of bleach which is where it will stay until Friday night/Saturday morning.

AquaKai said:
Flossie- Well there was some fungus stuff in the bottom of one of the places where the media goes as well as the mineral deposits.
HUKIT- I just checked to see if it worked, and it does!
Just put the filter in a tub with 5ish gallons of water and 1 cup of bleach which is where it will stay until Friday night/Saturday morning.

Oh ok ... Yeah just sanitize it and use it girl :) :)

I will do! I seriously cannot wait until this filter and tank are done because I can't wait until all this work pays off!

AquaKai said:
I will do! I seriously cannot wait until this filter and tank are done because I can't wait until all this work pays off!

Me either!! Lol I wanna see

Back
Top Bottom