Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2004, 12:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Saw a tank at the goodwill store

Was at the goodwill store today and saw a large tank and stand for sale. A 90gal made by All Glass in 1990.
The plastic frame on the top has a few cracks and the center brace had been cut out. This makes me think the tank may be no good. The stand looks to be in good shape.

Price tag is $100. Is the tank fixable?

Old 06-18-2004, 08:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unless you are able to fix that center brace then no. If you can find some marterial to make a center brace from then I would say probally, Sounds like it might have been used as a reptile tank.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 09:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Ramrebel
i'd be REALLY concerned about leaks

20g - fireparrot
Ramrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 01:54 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I will find a link for you - I was reading about how many SW hobbyists will remove that center brace (because it will create a shadow over the coral) and replace it with one made of thick plexiglass. If that is the only issue, then as long as you replace the center brace it might be worth it. Find out if they will let you return it if it leaks, or if they are willing to put water in it to show it does not leak (very temporarily, of course).
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Found it-

http://tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/...r+centre+brace
Old 06-18-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The shadow effect only happens if you put a MH directly over the brace. Its not overly prevlent with Florecent lights and if you balance two MH bulbs on either side of teh brace the shadows cancel eachother out.

If the tank had a center brace then the center brace is crutial to the tanks stablility. The goodwill folks shouldnthave to much problem if you ask them to take the tank around back and fill it with water so you can check for leaks. At that time you can also check to see how bad the front and back glass bow out from the water pressure.

If its an allglass tank you can contact allglass about a replacment top frame. Its not hard to cut the sylicon off the frame and remove the old frame. THen use ample sylicon to secure the new frame to the top of the tank. I have done this with a 45 gal tank that I got.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 03:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Didn't think about it then but the tank has a thin plywood hood. So it could have been a reptile tank.
I have to pass on it due to the size. Add to that having to put a brace on it and maybe reseal it. I couldn't help thinking about how nice it would be to have a tank that big.
Even if the tank is bad I would think the stand is worth $100 to someone getting ready to setup a aquarium this size. It's at the GoodWill store on Eastern ave in Moore OK.
Thanks for all the quick replys.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:18 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Another thing that could be done. Is if you build the canopy really well and use a stainless steel rod you could create enough center suport on the caonpy to take place of the brace.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 10:02 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I once saw a 120-gal with a wrought-iron stand in my local Bargain Trader-type paper for $100. I was too late, but there are definitely bargains to be had out there.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com