Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2004, 05:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The dragon fish (violet goby) is an awesome prehistoric looking eel. Here is some info on him: http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_...ragon_fish.htm
That's what I thought.
I did some info gathering myself:
aquariacentral
Mongabay
Quote:
Dragon Fish, Violet Goby
Gobioides broussonnetii
SYN: Amblyopusbrasiliensis, A. mexicanus, Gobioides oblongus, Ognichodes broussonnetii, Plecopodus broussonnetii
PD: A slender, elongated, eel-like species with a large head. The spiny dorsal fin runs nearly thelength of the body, while the anal fin runs along the rear half of the body. The caudal fin is also long. Thelarge scales are marked with brown markings.The back is brownish while the flanks are silver with a violet iridescence. Thefins are brownish.
SIZE: To 25" (64 cm) in nature, although smaller in captivity.
SS: None
HAB: In coastal estuaries with fresh to brackish water having a muddy substrate. NorthAmerica to South America; from Georgia south to Northwestern Brazil
S: bottom
TANK: A 48" (122 cm) or 55 gallon (209 L) tank is adequate. Use a fine gravel or preferably, sandsubstrate, because this fish likes to bury itself, and sharp rocks can injure the fish. Provide hiding places with rocks, wood,roots, caves, tubes, and tunnels.Leave large, open areas on the bottom for foraging.
WATER: pH 7.2-8.5 (8.1), 12-30 dH (20), 68-75°F (20-24°C). A 1% addition of salt is recommendedas these fish are found in brackish water.This can be accomplished by adding 7.5 TSP of salt/ 10 gallons (10g/10 L).
SB: A highly territorial, solitary fish that should be kept in a species tank. Thisfish is often territorial and aggressive towards others of its own species.
SC: Large livebearers, Scats, Monos, Arius, Rainbowfish.
FOOD: Live; fish, earthworms, Tubifex , aquatic insects, insect larvae;chopped meat.In nature this species feeds on small organisms in the substrate, by sifting mud in its mouth.
SEX: No external differences are known, although males are more territorial at spawningtimes.
B: Spawning is possible in a large aquarium. Success in captive spawning is documentedby Harper in Tropical Fish Hobbyist (#473),on pages 130-132.He suggests using a spawning group of one male and three or more females. The tank should be furnished with hidingplaces for the females and as a nest for the male.The fish should not be fed for a week and then conditioned on livefoods.The salinity should be lowered 5 ppt and then raised 5-10 ppt to 30 ppt salinity. The male will spawn with several femalesover the course of a day.Following spawning, the females should be removed and the male will guard the eggs. After36-48 hours, the fry hatch and the male should be removed. After the egg sacs are consumed, he fry can befed roftiers and "green water" containing algae.After a month, Artemia nauplii can be fed.
BP: 10.No spawnings in captivity have been reported.
REMARKS: Handle this fish with care, they can inflict a painful bite.
DC: 7.A highly aggressive fish that requires a diet of live foods, and is best kept in a speciestank
I really like the Mongabay site for fish descriptions of all sorts.

I am also a bb goby keeper and know that bb gobies do best in BW, as do most gobies. Some will tell you their bb gobies are fine in FW, but I can tell you from experience that they require salt. The lifespan of your goby will increase with the addition of salt; however, your other fish will not like that. I recommend that gobies get their own tank. It doesn't have to be a species tank, but a tank that does have salt in it. My bb gobies are in with flounder, and Celebes rainbows, all are estuary fish.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
I have already added some salt, it was my understanding that most fish benefit from a little bit of salt with the exception of a select few cats / plants. I have no problem setting up a new aquarium for him as I would like to get a few other fish similar to him.

Old 10-30-2004, 02:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
was my understanding that most fish benefit from a little bit of salt with the exception of a select few cats / plants.
That's up in the air, since tap water has some salt in it. Adding aquarium salt is fine adn may or may not be beneficial. For this fish, a brackish water tank with marine grade salt is what's needed. For my BW tank, the only extra things I needed, was the salt and a hydrometer. Your goby will thank you

Old 10-30-2004, 05:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
What other types of fish use BW, if I do upgrade to a new tank it will probably be around a 75+ and it would become the BW tank leaving the 29 the way it is now.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SoylentGrundy
For BW, I like Monos, Archers, Scats. All of those get big though...Mollies like BW too.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:15 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I set my BW tank up specifically for bb gobies. Then I found some "FW" flounder. I have lost one in since I bought three 4 months ago. From the readings I have done after the fact, they are hard to keep alive for long I also put in Celebes rainbows. They are beautiful upper dwelling fish and I highly recommend them. I had Mollies, but they are pigs and ate all the food--even when it was on the bottom of the tank You can also look into other gobies that are BW.

Old 11-04-2004, 06:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For A Filter I Highly Reccommend the Penguin Modell 330 with bio/wheels for anywhere from a 25gal to a 60gal. For 65-110 Two would be good. Probably.

For an oscar i would have at least a 85gal tank, they can get really aggressive and will eat anything that fits in their mouths.

You should probably look into maually cycling your new tank when you get a bigger one.

Look into this webpage:

http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycling.html

Have Fun with your fish!

Dan
Old 11-04-2004, 09:17 PM   #18
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
As far as the dragonfish/violet goby goes, note the temperatures as well as salinity....they need truly brackish water (not just some added salt) to thrive, and should be kept at an absolute maximum of 75ºF....about the lower-end for your other fish. As well, your pleco (and plants) will not tolerate any reasonable amount of salt in his water for long....and the plants will not appreciate the lower light levels that the goby should be kept at (note the very small eyes, which tell you this fish doesn't use them much...too much light will stress the goby).

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com