Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2004, 12:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
Saying hey and need advice on a filter

Hey everyone. This is my first post on this site. I've been lingering in the shadows for a while though. About 6 months ago we bought a 10 gallon tank so that we could get some fish to entertain our kids. We bought a Blue gourami and an Upside down catfish. A few weeks ago my father gave me his 29 gallon tank so I now have that set up.

Up until tonight I had (purchased before I came across the info on this site):
1 Tiger Oscar (about 3.5" long)
1 Blue gouarmi (about 3.5" long)
1 Upside down catfish (about 1.5" long)
1 Chocolate Pleco (about 2.5" long)
1 Dragon Fish (about 7.5" long) - My favorite After purchasing him I did my research (first mistake), I see he is very hard to care for and to get to eat. I feed him blood worms and I have added the appropriate amount of salt to the tank. Also I know he can get rather large but I plan on upgrading to a 75 gallon or larger tank next spring.
2 Snails (One gold and one black)

Up until tonight the Oscar has got along with everyone just fine. But tonight he started biting the others (he has always chased them but never bitten). I have isolated him in the 10 gallon tank for now and will either give to my father to put in his 55 until I get a bigger tank or return him to the fish store. I love the Oscar but he's become quite aggressive and he hogs the food and I would be afraid that the others were not getting enough to eat.

So this is basically where I am at.. now on the the question. I currently have an underground filter with a dual air pump to help with filtration as well as the filter from the 10 gallon tank. The filter that came with my 10 gallon tank just is not cutting it. I need a recommendation of a decent filter preferably for up to 75 gallon tanks as I would like to over compensate just to be on the safe side. I was looking at possibly getting the penguin 330 which is good for up to 70 gallon tanks. Any thoughts?

Sorry about the long post but I wanted to introduce myself, and ask about the filter.

Old 10-29-2004, 02:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome to AA. Looks like you have a bad case of MTS already.

As for your tank, WOW, you are really overstocked. And from the sounds of it, your tank is not cycled. What are you water parameters? How long has your tank been up and running? How often are you dong water changes?

Your oscar is a total carnivore, will get over 12" long and will end up eating everyone he can put his mouth around. Your pleco will end up creating a lot of waste and will eventually out grow the tank as well.

You should really consider returning the Oscar and the dragon fish, because with water changes everyday, you will still end up having a major ammonia problem.

Old 10-29-2004, 02:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is just my opinion, but I think a Penguin 330 would be a beautiful choice for a 29 gallon if you want to overcompensate. Some people say that you should aim for around 6 times your tank size for gallon per hour flow. I tend to aim a little higher than that though. My Penguin 330 is on my 38 gallon and is about 8x water flow. You would have over 10x flow rate and my personal opinion is that it would be perfect for you.

Definitely get rid of the Oscar. He will grow fairly quickly and will eat anything he can fit in his mouth. Also, a 55 gallon may be too small for him when he gets full grown. Most here wouldn't put even one Oscar in anything less than a 75 gallon. They can get to be a foot long!

The blue gourami will be fine in a 29, but he will outgrown a 10 gallon for sure. Just be aware that with the Oscar and the dragon fish gone that he will probably try to claim the entire tank as his own. He probably won't kill his tankmates (unless they are other gouramis), but he may chase them around and establish dominance. My blue gourami lets my swordtails know who's boss every time I put food in.

If you are looking for cool fish ideas, I have to put a plug in for yo-yo loaches! They get along with my blue gourami just fine. Also, I'm not familiar with that pleco, but he may outgrow a 29 gallon. If you love plecos as much as I do, you could try a clown pleco or a bushy nose pleco, both of which would be perfect for a 29 gallon. Also, if you get a larger tank, you could look at rubber plecos. I like them too.

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the replies!

The Pleco I have is only supposed to reach around 5", I had wanted a clown pleco but none of the LFS had them available.

I really don't see how the 29 gallon is overstocked, this is just from my experience watching them but they all get along (now that the Oscar is out), I know they are going to get bigger and that is why I have plans for a bigger tank next spring.

Right now the only fish in the 10 is the Oscar, and thats just until I figure out what to do with him. If I give it to my father it will be just until I get a bigger tank.

About the water changes, I change the water two times a week. One time I just do a water change (about 30% or a little more), the other time I vacuum the gravel and everything and this usually takes the water down to about 20% which leaves about 80% that I need to refill. I'm hoping when I get a better filter it will not take as long to vacuum the gravel thus having less water to replace.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

[center:7471d3d9fe] Welcome to AA, Mudfrog! [/center:7471d3d9fe]

Quote:
I'm hoping when I get a better filter it will not take as long to vacuum the gravel thus having less water to replace.
You don't need to vacuum the whole tank everytime. Doing a 1/3 of the tank is fine. Changing 80% of the water is stressful on the fish.

As for filtration, a moderately stocked tank that doesn't have messy fish (the Oscar falls into the messy category) should have a gph turnover of 6x tank size. When you overstock or have messy fish, you want to aim for 8-10x gph.
Quote:
1 Blue gouarmi (about 3.5" long)
1 Upside down catfish (about 1.5" long)
1 Chocolate Pleco (about 2.5" long)
1 Dragon Fish (about 7.5" long)
Right now, I would say your tank is not overstocked, but these fish are growing. I don't know anything about dragon fish, could you elaborate on their adult size and needs?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 12:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dropped the Oscar off at my father's tank for safe keeping until I can get a much larger tank.

The dragon fish (violet goby) is an awesome prehistoric looking eel. Here is some info on him: http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_...ragon_fish.htm

I'll cut back on the vacuuming of the tank so hopefully I won't have to change the water as much.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SoylentGrundy
If still considering filters and wanting to over-compensate, you might look at Marineland's Emperor HOB filters. You can have more filter media storage space in an Emperor over a Penguin. HTH
Old 10-29-2004, 12:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My apologies Mudfrog,

I thought you had all those fish including your Oscar in the 29 gallon. You did the right thing by putting him in a bigger tank while you cycle yours.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No problem, I did have all of those fish in the tank up untill last night. It didn't seem overcrowded to me as I only had two fish that swim in the upper part of the tank, however I do have driftwood and a couple of rocks.

On a good note though the Oscar seems much happier in the 55 gallon. He is with:
2 Pacu's (about 3.5" long)
and 2 of something else I can't remember the name.. I want to say Tinfin Tetra or something?? They are about the same size. So there is plenty of room for the 5 fish at the moment.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

For most any beginner tank I recommend the biowheel.

Any really. 330 or 170 peguins.

http://www.fishdeals.com/equipment/biowheel.shtml

Help@fishdeals.com
          .----.                      .----.
 ____    __\\\\\\__               ___//////__    ____
 \___'--"         .-.           .-.          "--'___/
 /___<            '0'_         ,'0'             >___\
/____,--.       y     |       |      q       ,--.____\
        "".____  ___-"          "-___  ____,""
        //    / /      Got Fish?      \ \   \\     
              ]/   www.fishdeals.com   \[
Bigguppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com