Sca skimmer 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmann

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been researching this skimmer someone recommended to me and was wondering who has has experience with them.
It's
sca protein skimmer rated for 180g
I've reAd some good things. Haven't really heard anything bad but wanted your experiences

They are on ebay for 130$

I have one running on a 135g +70g sump and so far it's great I'm going slow with this build and the tank is still cycling (it's been up and running for around a month). I have about 3 adult saltwater mollies and around 15 baby mollies to cycle the tank , and have just added about 25lbs of live rock + 25lbs of base rock. And the skimmer pulls good junk out. I know I'm way over the rating of this skimmer but I'm. Not worried this skimmer will do fine, I plan on this tank being full reef by the end of this year, and I plan on still using this skimmer. Get it you won't be disappointed. It has the same pump as reef octopus and swc skimmers that are similar in size, but double the price, I will post a video on YouTube of it running maybe tonight.

Did you see the size of that skimmer? It's smaller than the Coralife ss65. It may pull skimmate, but the rating is a bit silly. Look at the collection cup on that thing-
img_2319081_0_f7daffeb909d394fcbe8731fff9a4491.jpg

It does not have the same pump as the reef octopus or SWC either. The comparable SWC uses a Sicce PSK2500 and the octopus has it's own proprietary pump (otp 2000). Both of those skimmers are much larger than this unit also. Apples for apples, you are certainly getting more for your money.

It appears very close to the NAC-7, but that skimmer cup image is really throwing me off. I have seen a NAC-7 in person and the cup is larger than that. Also the box in the first pic says sc-s250. I think that thread may be labeled wrong.

I don't know, maybe the pic has been resized to give the appearance of being tiny, may the guy holding it is a beast. But the one I own appears much larger , when I get home I will recreate that pic and post it for comparison.

In my skimmer the neck appears around 4" wide

I don't know, I do know they have an optional larger collection cup, and my cup is a little different than the one pic, mine has a drain. And they could have changed the collection cup because I do remember some complaints when I researched my purchase about the cups being a little small, but i figured that's why they had a large cup optional, I plan on eventually hooking my drain up, so cup size won't be an issue. I just need to get the correct size tube/hose.

Here's a pic of mine with 24hrs of skim in it.

image-2366368038.jpg

It is kinda small, I mean it would probably be perfect for 90g of water volume. I'm stretching it with my setup.

Back
Top Bottom