Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

School me on LED's

I am in the process of buying a new tank, moving from my 92 gallon glasscages tank to a 95 gallon wave tank. The 92 had a canopy with power compacts already installed in it (I bought it used from a guy that made it all), so they won't work with the new tank. I want to move to LED's, and make my own set up, but I don't know how many to use of which colors, and where to find the LED's themselves. I've heard that you are supposed to use 10000k LED's, but I haven't seen any when searching for them.

Can someone shed me some light on how many LED's I would need, and how to get the ball rolling on finding them?

Thanks for all of the help in advance.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Here is a good source for LEDs-
LED Group Buy | CREE LEDs for DIY Aquarium Lighting

What amount of each color would be up to you. I would pay attention to the coverage guidelines on that link I posted.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #3

Thank you for the link. I have been reading up on the LED's, and I want the 10000K-12000K spectrum, so 1:1 of Cool whites to Royal Blues. My next question, how many LED's should I use? The owner of the site said roughly 36 LED's for a 24"x24" area. Would I be ok with 2-36 LED modules, or is that too much?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say you are right on with those numbers. A friend of mine simply used aluminum U channel from home depot and drilled his holes about 4" apart. Will you want to mix in some reds and greens or not?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #5

I didn't read anything on there about reds and greens. What are the benefits of them?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

here is some info on color temps-
Aquarium Lighting; Reef, Planted Light Information. PAR, Bulb, Watt, Kelvin, Nanometers, MH, LED.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #7

Mr x what colors do u run on ur tank
Old 01-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I run about a dozen reefs with LEDs and import and build our own fixtures. We use a 1:1 ratio (sometimes 2:1) of 12K white and 450nm blue LEDs from 2 watts to as much as 6 watts. I am experimenting with the new 100 watts emitters, but they don't come in the higher color temperatures yet.

As Mr_X stated, the lensing will dictate the coverage area the emitter will give you. But in general, in a tank with a depth of 24", I use a rule of 2 watts per gallon LED for soft corals, and 3-4 for everything else. LED is about 30-40% more power efficient than equivalent MH lamps. Deeper tanks need more of course. LEDs tend to "beam" more than other lamps do...and they emit little UV, so some like to add a T5 actinic to cause the corals to glow more. They make UV LEDs, but I do not recommend them as they can be dangerous to use.

Mixing a few colors in is something that you need to read up on. I don't think it is necessary, but if your building your own fixture, it may not be a bad idea. I have been growing coral under LEDs now for about three years. IMO it is the best way to go.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

rapidled sells DIY cree kits and recommend 15-18 square inches of surface area per LED with SPS and clams anf for LPS and softies they say 20-24 per LED. i have seen videos on youtube of a 120g being lite with 48 cree LEDs and getting like 400 PAR at the low end of the tank

he has 48 over his 90 gallon and runs them at 50% power in his SPS dominated reef

Tags
led, school

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com