Scratch or Crack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zahra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just recently got a 20 gallon tall tank as a gift so I could upgrade from my old 10 gallon. Anyways yesterday I noticed what appears to be either a crack or a scratch in the bottom left corner of the tank. It's definitely not silicon and my fingernail catches on it. It doesn't go the whole way through the glass either. It measures about 1 3/4" long and is very thin. It's just on the outside of the tank.

I'll attach a close up shot and one from further away. I'd appreciate some input on this. I've never had this problem with a tank before, so I can't tell if this is a crack or a scratch. Do you think I should just get a new 20 gallon tank or is this fixable? Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• Glass 1.jpg
    Glass 1.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 226
  • glass 2.jpg
    glass 2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 408
Crack.. junk it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Man I have been seeing more and more of these threads. Scary!!
what is the tank on?

Well I just tried scrubbing it off again (in an act of denial) and after a while, it started coming off. I guess it was silicon after all! What a relief! Thanks anyways guys.

Pretty sure I can see the 90° flat section were the crack is through the panel.. you sure it just wiped off??

Yes I'm positive it did. Have a look:

Attachments

• Glass1.jpg
    Glass1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 166
  • glass2.jpg
    glass2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 140
Lol wow.
That feeling you must have gotten knowing it was not a crack.
So lucky.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha good good, i dont know.. these high def. Screens... i had a tank crack and it looked just like that, same spot and everything..

Haha yeah I felt pretty relieved. It's strange though - the other silicon on the tank came off so easy. Guess I'll have to remember this for the future.

Imagine not trying to scrape it off, buy a new tank, and then after you buy the new tank and cycle with wage rand have livestock, you figure out the old 20 is actually not cracked, and viola, two 20's! Amazing! Just what I would have done if I new it was just silicone, wait till I get a new one and make the "Amazing" discovery that it was just silicone. Lol my mom would be mad but who cares two tanks in the end! :)

Nils

Back
Top Bottom