Scratch time!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny69

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whilst making up some water for my Malawi tank someone else in the house (shall remain nameless so I don't get sent to the dog house ;) decided to move the rocks around. All good until I topped up the tank and turned the lights back on, argh an 7 inch scratch right where I just don't want one!!!! Devastated big time. Anyone used cerium oxide glass polish to remove scratches before? I know there ain't no other way to polish glass. Thankfully it is only a very light scratch as in I can't feel it with my finger hence it's a perfect candidate for a little glass polishing....

Thoughts?

kenny69 said:
Whilst making up some water for my Malawi tank someone else in the house (shall remain nameless so I don't get sent to the dog house ;) decided to move the rocks around. All good until I topped up the tank and turned the lights back on, argh an 7 inch scratch right where I just don't want one!!!! Devastated big time. Anyone used cerium oxide glass polish to remove scratches before? I know there ain't no other way to polish glass. Thankfully it is only a very light scratch as in I can't feel it with my finger hence it's a perfect candidate for a little glass polishing....

Thoughts?

Plain, old style gritty toothpaste and a soft cloth worked great for me in removing a few fine scratches in a used tank. Light circular motions work better than back and forth.

Mr. Limpet said:
Plain, old style gritty toothpaste and a soft cloth worked great for me in removing a few fine scratches in a used tank. Light circular motions work better than back and forth.

Mmm interesting, might just give that a go first, some of that so called whitening toothpaste would be best I think. Cheers!

kenny69 said:
Hey will any toothpaste in with the fish hurt them. Of course I will try not to get any in there.....

Good question and I'd think you'd want to remove the fish during the repair and the bigger issue would be proper rinsing. I did my repair prior to setup, so clean up wasn't an issue.

Toothpatse would be a lot less toxic than the 3 step stuff we used at the glass/window plant lol.

Mr. Limpet said:
Good question and I'd think you'd want to remove the fish during the repair and the bigger issue would be proper rinsing. I did my repair prior to setup, so clean up wasn't an issue.

Toothpatse would be a lot less toxic than the 3 step stuff we used at the glass/window plant lol.

Mmmmm problem is fish removal isn't going to happen, nowhere to put them lol. I think I will just have to be extra careful.

Back
Top Bottom