Screw in CFLs: Why they are cost effective.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After having done some research about fluorescent lights used for plant growth it seems that you should change the tubes every 6-9months. At first a screw in CFL appears to be more expensive since you would be changing the internal ballast every time as well and not just the tube, BUT with the old tubes I can't think of too many uses for them (undercabinet lights can only be used a few times before it starts to look really silly having them lining your house); on the other hand the screw in CFLs would still provide plenty of light for people to get by in their day to day activities while saving electricity over incandescents. A quick count revealed that my smallish 3 bedroom house has about 35 screw in fixtures and lightbulbs. By the time I fill every fixture in my house from aquarium leftovers I probably would have burned out the first ones I installed. This way I am not wasting money on throwing out old tubes...I am saving money on electricity. Additionally, from what I have seen at pet stores and hardware stores (home depot, etc) screw in CFLs rated at 5500K to 6500K are coming down in price to about $3-4 each for 13-14W bulbs.

thumbs.gif
thumbs.gif
thumbs.gif

I love them in my tanks. The only problem is that more of the tube is hidden due to the spiral nature than a straight standard flouresecnt tube. So you do loose a bit more light. Still, my plants grow well in my 10 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom