SCWD water manafold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Heres a water distrabution manafold I just put together to get water from my sump thru the SCWD and then into the tank.

Everything is either 3/4" PVC or 3/4" hose.

Here is how the tests worked out.

Not overly scientific but I tried my best.

I took a IO 200 gal saltbucket and filled it with water till it was at the band just above the handle. I approximated this to be 5 gal.

The first test was the pump and the 3/4" hose only. It took 41 sec to drain the bucket down to the pump intake (approx 1" off the bottom") so that equates to approx 439 GPH assuming the capacity was correct at 5 gal.

The second test I added the scwd manafold you see above. Now this is not a true test of the scwd's impedance since it also had 2 45's and 3 90* elbows to flow thru but it will give you an idea. The bucket was once again filled to the same mark.

This time it took appox 58 sec to drain the bucket down to the same level. Or assuming 5 gal capacity of the bucket 310GPH.

This calculates out to a 30% loss of flow from the scwd and the pvc elbows.

At that flow rate the scwd cycled between sides at a rate of approx 10 sec per side. At no time was either side totally void of water flow but the flow was drasitcly more on one side than the other at any given time.

Back
Top Bottom