Sea clone skimmer/this should be interesting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natman2

Aquarium Advice Activist
I ran into an old aquaitence of mine form my old aquarium days who is now manageing one of the LFS in my area. The talked turned to protein skimmers and I began complaining that no retailers carried decent skimmers and I was about to order over the internet.

He then explained that he has been useing the readly availabel Seaclones on his home tanks and seemd to like them. I then explained that after a few weeks of research I could not come along on decent review of these skimmers.

He took me over to the skimmer aisle where they had nothing but seaclones and handed me a 150 and said to take it home for 30 days and if it produced come back and pay him, if not bring it back to him. So I have done exactly that.

It has been set up and dialed into to as strong a flow I can get without spewing micro bubbles out into the tank. Grant it this is a very young tank and five hours is not much time for it to break in but so far 0 skim rate. :D

29 more days to go.

Unit is producing some skim rate. Slow but steady. Problem here is I have nothing to compare it to since I have never run a skimmer before. AT the rate it is going and considering the size of the collection cup it will be weeks before I have to clean it.

the air bubbles get coated with proteins and other DOC's etc. think of them as soap bubbles. the soap being DOC'c. when you blow soap bubles they fly around and bump into each other bouncing off each other and sometimes joining but not popping, but when you touch it it pops. if you dip your finger in the soap them touch the bubbles won't pop nearly as often.

your new skimmer's riser tube is not coated with DOC's yet so the bubbles pop before they can dump into the cup so git it a week.

my seaclone 100 is on a 40 long and it produces 1/3 to 1/2 cup twice a week, but I am fighting algae right now because my water is out of wack.

Back
Top Bottom