Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Sea clone skimmer/this should be interesting

I ran into an old aquaitence of mine form my old aquarium days who is now manageing one of the LFS in my area. The talked turned to protein skimmers and I began complaining that no retailers carried decent skimmers and I was about to order over the internet.

He then explained that he has been useing the readly availabel Seaclones on his home tanks and seemd to like them. I then explained that after a few weeks of research I could not come along on decent review of these skimmers.

He took me over to the skimmer aisle where they had nothing but seaclones and handed me a 150 and said to take it home for 30 days and if it produced come back and pay him, if not bring it back to him. So I have done exactly that.

It has been set up and dialed into to as strong a flow I can get without spewing micro bubbles out into the tank. Grant it this is a very young tank and five hours is not much time for it to break in but so far 0 skim rate.

29 more days to go.

natman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Unit is producing some skim rate. Slow but steady. Problem here is I have nothing to compare it to since I have never run a skimmer before. AT the rate it is going and considering the size of the collection cup it will be weeks before I have to clean it.

natman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
the air bubbles get coated with proteins and other DOC's etc. think of them as soap bubbles. the soap being DOC'c. when you blow soap bubles they fly around and bump into each other bouncing off each other and sometimes joining but not popping, but when you touch it it pops. if you dip your finger in the soap them touch the bubbles won't pop nearly as often.

your new skimmer's riser tube is not coated with DOC's yet so the bubbles pop before they can dump into the cup so git it a week.

my seaclone 100 is on a 40 long and it produces 1/3 to 1/2 cup twice a week, but I am fighting algae right now because my water is out of wack.
Nobody wants a broken fishtank, capish?
bigsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Just curious, did you end up keeping or returning it?
TygGer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Yes whatever happened with this?
jasno999 is offline   Reply With Quote

sea, skimmer, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com