Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Chris J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 308
SeaChem Biomax ?

Is the seachem Biomax filter media really any better than the fluval rings? I run an FX5 on a 125 with 3 8-9" oscars and a 7-8" Red eared slider so my bio load is high and I do 80-90% water changes every 2 weeks or so but I was wondering if this would help any more than the fluval stuff with my heavily stocked tank. Also I was wondering about seachem purigen as well.
__________________

__________________
Chris J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Is the seachem Biomax filter media really any better than the fluval rings? I run an FX5 on a 125 with 3 8-9" oscars and a 7-8" Red eared slider so my bio load is high and I do 80-90% water changes every 2 weeks or so but I was wondering if this would help any more than the fluval stuff with my heavily stocked tank. Also I was wondering about seachem purigen as well.
Do you mean Seachem Matrix(bio-media)
__________________

__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Chris J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 308
Yes Matrix, sorry about that one.
__________________
Chris J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dmolavi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sewell, NJ
Posts: 2,123
I use Matrix in my 2 HOBs on my largest tank. As I track my nitrates week by week (ammonia and nitrites are always zero), I have seen a slow, but steady decline in nitrates. I've removed the bio-wheels from the HOBs, and keep floss in there for the big poop that I rinse in tank water during changes.

Purigen is a God-send. I use it in my largest FW tank as well as my SW tank. Good stuff, and since it can be regenerated, a helluva lot cheaper than other products out there.
__________________
20 gallon nano-reef torn down to make way for the 40B Reef (original thread and current update).
dmolavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
I also use Matrix in my HOBS and my canister. It is claimed by Seachem to house more BB than regular bio-media. On the Purigen, I completely agree with dmolavi. Purigen is simply brilliant.....
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Chris J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 308
I'm thinking I need to invest in a 500mL container of both the matrix and purigen. I have an FX5 on my 125g and its FULL of fluval Biomax and a small amount of filter floss so maybe I'll do a basket of each Fluval Biomax, then matrix then purigen. Thanks for all the input everyone. I will probably be adding this to my SW tank and puffer tank as well. If its really as good as everyone says I'll probably use it on ALL my tanks.
__________________
Chris J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
I'm thinking I need to invest in a 500mL container of both the matrix and purigen. I have an FX5 on my 125g and its FULL of fluval Biomax and a small amount of filter floss so maybe I'll do a basket of each Fluval Biomax, then matrix then purigen. Thanks for all the input everyone. I will probably be adding this to my SW tank and puffer tank as well. If its really as good as everyone says I'll probably use it on ALL my tanks.
If your on a tightish budget, go with the 'loose' Purigen to make up your own bags. If not, go with the pre bag 100ml Purigen. I find them easier to work with......
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dmolavi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sewell, NJ
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
If your on a tightish budget, go with the 'loose' Purigen to make up your own bags. If not, go with the pre bag 100ml Purigen. I find them easier to work with......
Also, if you use a bag, it'll have to be a fairly tight mesh, as the purigen granules are pretty small.

Since it's re-usable, I spend the $11 on the 100mL pouch and call it a day, knowing it will be years before it has to be replaced. I've been running it for over a year in my 56 gallon freshwater tank, regenerated it twice (every 6 months), and it shows no signs of letting up.
__________________

__________________
20 gallon nano-reef torn down to make way for the 40B Reef (original thread and current update).
dmolavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.