Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Marineland C-360. I guess I don't share Mac's view on "The Bag" as far as it being unwieldy and having a goofy tie. I fill mine with 250 mL each. I would think if I put all 500mL in one bag, then yes, it would be packed pretty tight. The idea is to allow adequate flow through the bag. As for the zip-tie, I wish I had about 20 of those I would use them for all kinds of things, you press the release and it opens up - I think it's great.

As for the Purigen all over the tank? Been there!!!! I didn't have "The Bag" the first time, I ended up putting it in cotton tea bags because that's all I could find at the time. I didn't have a lot flying around my tank, but when I opened my canister 3 weeks later they had all disintegrated. Luckily, Purigen sinks and the it all fell to the bottom of the canister (even made it down through the coarse foam) so I was able to harvest 99% of it.

A very small percentage of the pellets are so small they even get through The Bag when you first put it in and rinse it. So yes, by all mean, get The Bag or just buy a couple of the pre-bagged 100mL ones, depending on how much you need/want.

I just did a quick Amazon search and you can get a 100mL bag shipped for about $15, and the 250mL bottle is basically the same price from the same vendor. Then you just need The Bag. LFS will sometimes carry this stuff but shop around, I've seen 250mL for as much as $25 in stores - that's where they make their $$.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #22

Thanks for the input, guys.

I was planning on purchasing it in the packaged bags...how are these administered...just drop them into any open space in the filter canister?

Old 10-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep. Anywhere there is flow.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #24

Seriously -- just drop the bag in, and that's all?
Old 10-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the 2 250 bags in 2nd tray of 4 (bottom is coarse foam, #3 is bioballs for now, #4 is ceramic rings) and in my 10 I just stick it behind the green plastic bio-media, where you would normally put the floss pack with the carbon in it (which I don't use). Anywhere you would put carbon or zeolite or anything else. Not kidding! You could zip-tie it to your intake if you really wanted to. I rinse it under luke warm tap water when doing a cartridge cleaning, you do need to do that to keep the mesh from getting gunked up, but I've never seen much of a clogging problem. The water runs dirty out of it for a few seconds but that's it.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #26

But Floyd, I only have those slots where the factory cartridges slide in, with the intake water bubbling all around them...would I drop the Purigen behind these, where there's space?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

What make and model is your filter, I'll look it up and see if I can see what you're talking about...
Old 11-07-2010, 04:10 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
What make and model is your filter, I'll look it up and see if I can see what you're talking about...
Floyd,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this topic; I hadn't received any message stating I got replies...

My filter is an AQUEON QUIETFLOW 55 (per my signature), and I'm running a second QUIETFLOW 20 to supplement the 55...
Old 11-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

What you could do for those is take one of the factory filter pads, but it open, dump our the carbon, and see if you can fit the 100mL bag into it and put it in the slot. Otherwise, you could just put it in the slot in place of the filter pad.

I have a Tetra EX20 and I just took the cartridge that holds the filter pad out completely and dropped in the purigen. In that one there are 2 separate sections, one is for bio and one for mechanical/chemical so I left the bio one in and the purigen fits nicely right behind it. Doesn't look like the Aqueon works the same way but looks like there is a slot for the filter pad?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
What you could do for those is take one of the factory filter pads, but it open, dump our the carbon, and see if you can fit the 100mL bag into it and put it in the slot. Otherwise, you could just put it in the slot in place of the filter pad.

I have a Tetra EX20 and I just took the cartridge that holds the filter pad out completely and dropped in the purigen. In that one there are 2 separate sections, one is for bio and one for mechanical/chemical so I left the bio one in and the purigen fits nicely right behind it. Doesn't look like the Aqueon works the same way but looks like there is a slot for the filter pad?
I honestly don't know if anything will fit in my Aqueons; I'm thinking of just dumping these filters altogether and starting over with either a Tetra, AquaClear or Marineland, but can't decide on which...

I want to get an AquaClear 110 based on all the input on here about them, but they look so daunting to maintain and stock with media...

Tags
purigen, seachem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com