seachem seagel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Seachem. SeaGel

Does anyone have experience with seachem SeaGel? It's pretty expensive to have to replace my carbon and my phosphate removing media. So this would seem more affordable to have instead of purchasing the two different products seperately. Although with everytime I've tried to save money it never worked out.

Steve

The thing is... it's still carbon, and as such won't do you much good after a couple weeks. The Phosguard part of it might be still working for you, but the carbon will be shot. But because the stuff is mixed, you can't just replace the carbon so you end up replacing everything and throwing away perfectly good Phosguard.

Personally... I steer away from any aluminum-based phosphate removers (like Phosguard) and use GFO (granulated ferric oxide) instead. I also use Purigen (another Seachem product) instead of carbon. You can regenerate Purigen, unlike carbon. I'm not sure I really get any more useful life between changes using Purigen over carbon - even though the literature would have you think different - but the fact I can regenerate Purigen makes me come out ahead in the long run. And I run them in separate bags, so my hands aren't tied as to when to replace them.

you are better off getting something like brs carbon and gfo, it lasts longer and works better.

Back
Top Bottom