SeaClone 150 Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone use this skimmer? The SeaClone 150 was recommended by my local dealer. I have a 55-gal tank.

Problem is, I'm not getting anything in the collection cup. If I set it to let enough air in to make the bubbles reach the collection cup, I get a lot of bubbles back in the tank. If I set it lower, with less air, I don't get much of a "tornado" and the bubbles don't hit high enough to reach the collection cup. I don't know how high the tornado should go in the tube.

Help! I've had freshwater fish, but I'm new to saltwater, tips welcome.

I had a cyclone 100 for my 55 gal., it took about a week to start pulling off stuff. Then it got really really noisy. I got rid of it and got an aquac remora, wow....that's a skimmer! :D

For the price, this is a decent skimmer. I used one on my first reef tank and was very happy with it. It is touchy and has a longer-then-normal breakin period. Once going, it skims like crazy.

Just be careful not to get ripped by the lfs. When I first started, I bought everything from the lfs and paid $120 for it!! You can get online for 70ish..

I'd suggest mod'ing it per some of the instructions people have posted on this forum (and others). I believe the new seaclone's have had one of these customized mod's added into the basic design...but you'll still wanna increase the amount of bubbles produced.

SeaClone isn't the worst skimmer, but they WAY over rate the tank sizes they work on (but most skimmer manufacturer's do)

I modded mine when I had it, I just cut back the small acrylic tube inside that the 'tornado' comes out of.

You want to increase the airflow, so there isnt much of a tornado. It will also limit the air bubbles going into the tank. This will make it noiser and start skimming really soon.

IMO it is a nice skimmer to some extent, but it really takes a lot of work to get running good. And once its running needs often tuning.

I bought my ASM G-2... I wont look back.

Almost NO maintenance, besides cleaning the collection cup... which can get discusting in a day, or less! Even with my low bio- load.

oh well.. I am getting more fish in tomorrow, (Pygmy Angel, Blenny, Royal Gramma, along with many... many inverts 100 micro blue legs, some ricordea etc. all from reeftopia.com)

ok..

imo its crap. i bought one to start out my tank.. but then I ended up buying a bak pak 2 about 3 weeks ago.. it has skimmed a lot more than the seaclone ever did

Back
Top Bottom