Seaclone or Bak Pak 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank stats are listed below. I know I am way in need of a skimmer. I am looking in the LOW $100 range. What are your thoughts on the CPR Bak Pak 2 vs a seaclone?

Thanks

No contest that the Bak Pak will out perform the seaclone any day of the week. I have the BakPak 2R and its very nice. Most people will agree that the seaclone is junk.

However, Your probibly going to want to go with a skimmer that is better suited for a tank and sump of that size. In that case I recommend looking at the Aqua C urchin (an in sump model). Sure its a little more expensive, but when you consider the size of your investment for the whole tank, you don't want to scrimp on your filtration system. If you can't afford it now. Save a little longer, you don't want to spend your money on something that you will regret buying.

hrm.. a seaclone can be bought for less than 70.. (liveaquaria.com) but honestly I wouldn't recommend it...

cheaper is never better when it comes to skimmers, esp. with the seaclone

I think the CPR bak-pak would work on a 50gal, but that's the max. You can find cheap factory seconds at www.amekaaquatics.com - they may have scrapes or cloudy acrylic, but they are structurally sound. Only cosmetic defects on factory seconds. Not bad for $104.

I have a seaclone. I was told by my LFS that it was a good quality skimmer. I agree, it is a good quality skimmer and certainly worth $70.00

The problem is that the difference between good and great is HUGE! I wish I had the $110.00 that I spent back to buy an urchin.

For a year it ran well, and I was getting skimmate. It all of a sudden stopped producing. I have cleaned the tubes, the airlines, replaced the mj1200 ph that powers it and nothing seems to help.

I know it seems like a good deal. You will be more happy with a better skimmer

It all of a sudden stopped producing
That's funny, the same thing happened w/ the seaclone I had after several months. I recently got a Remora HOT and in the first three weeks it has produced more skimmate than the sea-clone did in a year-no joke!!

supermarvin76,
The aquaC remora pro as fishfreek suggested would work well on your tank. And it's a hob type skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom