SeaClone Protein Skimmer Hints and Tricks Explored

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I just bought a seaclone protein skimmer for $70. I've read some mods to do on it so I did shorten the inner tube to 2" and also put a gasket under the collection up to stop any movement inside the unit. I realize it will take a little time for the skimmer to break in but I'm curious as to the air inlet on the unit as to where it should 'about' be. Right now it is almost closed and I get decent flow but tons of micro bubbles going back into my aquarium. If I turn the valve all the way open then I get no bubbles but the water just trickles down because the waterflowstops at the top of the loop that goes out of the tank. Any ideas guys? Right now there are so many bubbles in the unit itself I can't see anything inside it but bubbles.

I figured I should go ahead and get it for 70 because they could not find a price on the unit. They 'thought' they sold it for 95 in the past but she asked me how much I saw them for and I told her 70 at bigalsonline. So she sold it to me for that price.

Yeah... it hadn't been performing like I want it to.. just a big mess of bubbles in my tank and not a whole lot of bubbles.

This is what I did-

1. Shortened my inner 1" tube from 4 inches to 2.
2. Remove air hose off main pump so it just pushes water in.
3. Put in a 44 cent air stone through the top of the skimmer and placed close to where main pump is.
4. Used a gang valve to control my bubble output.
5. Found a piece of sponge off an old filter and cut it up.. folded it a few times and wedge it between the output of the skimmer and my hood. NO BUBBLES!

My skimmer is running full blast and I'm getting a ton of bubbles but none in the tank. Parts to cut the inner tube cost me 12 dollars - extension for my drill and a dremel saw blade. I'm going to seriously consider the mod to add another hole in the top container so it drains to a milk jug under the unit.

My only problem. - I'm a sound person. This air pump is driving me nuts. What do you guys recommened to silence an air pump? Actually just the vibrations. Whats cheap that could dampen it? Could I make a box or something to put it in to block out the sound?

This air pump is driving me nuts. What do you guys recommened to silence an air pump? Actually just the vibrations. Whats cheap that could dampen it?
Maybe a computer mouse pad...

I'll have to try something like that. I was thinking maybe I could use some windowunit foam liner. I've also heard of suspending in mid-air. This relates quite a bit to building a silent PC as relates to hard drives. Thanks for the info.

I'm excited the seaclone is working well. Still breaking in to get nitrates but the foam is working great off a 44 cent airstone.

One question on setting the level of airbubbles into the seaclone. Where should it sit at? Right now my bubbles are going 1/2 -1" up the column in the collection tray but not into it. I can turn it on full blast and get the bubbles almost to the top of the collection tray and it then seems to collect somewhat 'dingy' water but it is pretty clear.

Does anyone know how to get to the 4" tube inside the reaction chamber? The one that you're suppose to cut down 1-2".

silencing vibration in air pumps.. the easiest way seems to be suspending it with some string into the air.. that is if you can find something to tie it to..

Can you give me more detail on how you modified your seaclone skimmer?

How exactly did you cut the inner tube to 2 inches and what do you mean by you removed the air line off the main pump????

I need soem help with mine and I would appreciate soem input.

My e-mail is Jason_Crandall@Hotmail.com

silencing vibration in air pumps.. the easiest way seems to be suspending it with some string into the air.. that is if you can find something to tie it to..

Try using Air Hooks....you can normally get them for a couple of $ from most Hardware Stores....just ask the assistant.

Back
Top Bottom