Yeah... it hadn't been performing like I want it to.. just a big mess of bubbles in my tank and not a whole lot of bubbles.
This is what I did-
1. Shortened my inner 1" tube from 4 inches to 2.
2. Remove air hose off main pump so it just pushes water in.
3. Put in a 44 cent air stone through the top of the skimmer and placed close to where main pump is.
4. Used a gang valve to control my bubble output.
5. Found a piece of sponge off an old filter and cut it up.. folded it a few times and wedge it between the output of the skimmer and my hood. NO
My skimmer is running full blast and I'm getting a ton of bubbles but none in the tank. Parts to cut the inner tube cost me 12 dollars - extension for my drill and a dremel saw blade. I'm going to seriously consider the mod to add another hole in the top container so it drains to a milk jug under the unit.
My only problem. - I'm a sound person. This air pump is driving me nuts. What do you guys recommened to silence an air pump? Actually just the vibrations. Whats cheap that could dampen it? Could I make a box or something to put it in to block out the sound?