Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Seacone protien skimmer

Does anyone have any experience with the SeaCone protein skimmer? I purchased one new from my LFS, it was recommended by the guy that works there. I understand its not the best one on the market, but the price was right. Anyway, I've had it running for about 2 weeks now and I'm getting some foam and also a lot of micro bubbles. My tank is fairly new (about 2 months). I know it can take some time for a skimmer to break in, but I thought it would be good by now. Will adjusting the air flow help? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have used the sea clone for a while as a start up skimmer. I recently updated to an asm skimmer.

The seaclone air intake does need to be adjusted so the bubbles start going up but not so far as to get into the collection cup. It is important to remember that it will only take out dissolved solids if they are present. Do you have a small or large bio load in your tank?

The seaclone, and any skimmer, will appear to stop working when there aren't dissolved solids present (usually because the skimmer took them all out). It will continue to work once solids return in tue system.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

2 damsels, 2 clowns, coral beauty angel, and royal gramma. Also 6 hermit crabs, 5 snails, 2 shrimp. Thanks for the advise, that answered a lot of my questions about the skimmer.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Look at what collects in the cup. If its a little transparent then it is getting too many bubbles. It should be an emerald green color.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com