Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Searching for unconventional aquarium dimensions

My father always kept aquariums when I was a child, and I adored them then, and am just rediscovering that now. I have a tank I love at work, and I am loving every minute of the battle with my new tank at home... now that I've found this site, and know how to mitigate the damage of an ignorant start!

My kid is starting a cycling process tomorrow for his tank, and I've already got my mind on what I want in the future. The far future though... I am thinking a year from today... which is my BIRTHDAY!

Anyway, it looks like I am going to need a custom built, but I am afraid to actually find out how pricey that may be. I figured if the tank to fit one of the two spaces I have in mind exists, you guys will know of it! The first area would have to be within the parameters of 48 x 24 x 15 1/2 (WxDxH). The second would need to fall within 29 x 24 x 15 1/2.

I really really wanted to put it in an area that is probably impossible, because it is 12 in high... with no additional clearance for hood, etc.
Incidentally, I want to keep a planted discus tank. I realize I am only talking like two discus... for now... I have an extra closet on a ground level slab foundation.... kidding...

So does anyone have any advice on where to look for odd tank sizes or am I going to have to save up for custom?

Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I would do searches online or even check your local pet store if there is one in your area. I always thought that having a massive bowl tank would be pretty cool but I'm not sure how well that would work in the area you want it in.
Happy birthday by the way

Lawngnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Don't forget to peruse CL frequently. You never know what will pop up there.

Lawngnome is right, get creative.

In my nonextistant spare time, I am converting an old five foot high gumball machine into an aquarium.
mudraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I plan on a 3' x 3' x 12" SW rockpool/reef tank some time after college. I'm still drawing plans up for it. Go for something you'd think is cool.
Crepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check this site custom aquariums Glasscages.com - Home
Thank You all for sharing our hobby with me. I have learned so much, I don't know everything, and I'm not a expert. But if I can share what I have learned I'll be glad to share.
hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
I had wondered how difficult just making one would be... I also would have to squeeze in some non-existent spare time.... just to research it! I'm not sure I want it THAT bad. lol
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
Check out glasscages.com which makes specialty aquariums in both glass and acrylic. I had them fabricate an acrylic tank to my specifications in July of 2010, and so far it has held up well.

Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, dim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com