Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Second filter?

Hi all. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I have a 20g planted tank. I do water changes of about 25% weekly. Using the test strips I know my parameters are good. The fish are healthy and happy.

The issue is that the water constantly has a yellowish tinge and when I change the water, I'm always amazed at how nasty the water is when it comes out. I use a Hagan AquaClear 30 on full blast. I also have a spare filter that came with a kit (I upgraded the filter). I'm wondering if adding a second filter may fix the yellow water problem?

Water out of the faucet is crystal clear though pretty hard and definitely needs Prime.

So, second filter on a 20g?

Thanks

Old 05-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Do you have driftwood in the tank? Driftwood often leaches tannins which can discolor tank water (yellowish, hazy, brownish).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 05-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Do you have driftwood in the tank? Driftwood often leaches tannins which can discolor tank water (yellowish, hazy, brownish).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Yes a good bit. Is there a way to eliminate it?
Old 05-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbass View Post
Yes a good bit. Is there a way to eliminate it?
Carbon will take it out, as I recall, as will Purigen. It's not harmful to your fish, however. Some like it, in fact.

Did you boil the wood before using it in your tank? That's a good way to eliminate a lot of tannins.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

As above active carbon or Purigen will help ,you could also try a UV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tanins are actually quite beneficial for most species. It can be ugly to see though. It will eventually/gradually be less noticeable if you just keep up with regular water changes. As noted above purigen and carbon can help; but they will be removing it from teh water column and not preventing it from happening. You can pull the driftwood and try to boil it a few times to speed along the process; but thats certainly not necessary unless you cnat stand seeing the color.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Tanins are actually quite beneficial for most species. It can be ugly to see though. It will eventually/gradually be less noticeable if you just keep up with regular water changes. As noted above purigen and carbon can help; but they will be removing it from teh water column and not preventing it from happening. You can pull the driftwood and try to boil it a few times to speed along the process; but thats certainly not necessary unless you cnat stand seeing the color.
I'm shopping for backgrounds as now it's a fully clear tank all around. I don't want a "scene" just a solid color. Which would be better at reducing the yellow in the water, a deep blue back or black?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbass View Post
I'm shopping for backgrounds as now it's a fully clear tank all around. I don't want a "scene" just a solid color. Which would be better at reducing the yellow in the water, a deep blue back or black?
Beats me. Might be one of those situations where you need to try it and see what works.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

I agree with the people who have already said that carbon will clean your water right up although I have no experience using purigen. I personally run two penguin biowheel 200s on my tank they have activated carbon in the cartridges and they keep the water looking very clean.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Had the same problem until I added activated carbon to my AQ50. I have a 23 gallon, so the filter is strong and good for the tank.

<g.m.t.a>

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com