Second hand tank worried it will break

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skitterkins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389025059.266314.jpg

So I have a large tank and I'm always worried it's going to leak or explode, I have checked the sides no water.. Yet.. What are the chances of this tank living.. Should I be worried??

The only age failures I've ever experienced have always been the plastics in the hood and even that's only been with fluorescent tube lights.

I bought a second hand tank and discovered that it leaked so I put a load of aquarium sealant on the joins and it is now perfect. If you're worried about getting leaks then maybe do this as a precautionary measure? The sealant was really cheap online, think I got mine on eBay with free delivery!

For what it is worth I have a tank I built around 1967. It is actually very poorly built with lots of bubbles in the silicone. It was done with a squeeze tube and one of the sides slipped at the bottom so it isn't straight. It still holds water.

My 55 gallon was given to me. I had it dry for a few years with reptiles. Its been up and running the last couple years with no issues. It is at least 20 years old.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

View attachment 215506

So I have a large tank and I'm always worried it's going to leak or explode, I have checked the sides no water.. Yet.. What are the chances of this tank living.. Should I be worried??
Why worry? If the tank hasn't leaked yet and it's properly supported on a stand, it's fine. I know there are dishonest folks out there who sell leaking tanks but you would know by now if you'd bought one.

Back
Top Bottom