Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #11
Sf1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Somebody tried to put filter floss on bio-screen?

Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

They did? I was saying people (not just one) were removing the bio-screen and letting the water trickle through the bio chamber unfiltered. Not smart.

I don't think 1 C3 is enough for a 29, but you can do well with 1 C3 and another cheaper filter. I like to run carbon, so just I use standard cartridges for my Cascade, and use my C3 for clarity. I'm really itching to put some Purigen in, next payday! My water is crystal clear as it is, hopefully my fish will be floating when I get the Purigen in there.

I'm still using the stock pad. I found the acurel waste pad, but was unable to find any polishing pads. So I bought another 3 pack of the stock pads since I'll have to order the polishing pads online. I did notice my water is more clear with the new pad. I figure I'll have to change the polishing pad every 2-3 weeks to keep it this way. That is one benefit to having 2 C series filters, it should go longer before the polishing pads get clogged.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #13
Sf1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 2 C3 right now. With 250g of SeaChem Matrix, 100g of purigen and filter floss.
Next I'll try those acurel stuff. I want to put a layer of filter floss on bioscreen to protect it from dirt.

Why it's not smart to remove bioscreen? There is no bioscreen in Aquaclear filters and it's fine.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ahh gotcha. If you clean the bio screen every couple weeks it's really not a big deal. I didn't have too much difficulty getting mine looking new again after a month of use. If you just give it a quick cleaning every week when you do a pwc it shouldn't get too dirty.

Do the Aquaclears use C-Nodes? The C-Nodes are porous, which allows bb to grow inside as well as on the outside. Basically it increases the surface area, which increases the bio filtration. If dirty water gets in that chamber it will clog the pores, thus reducing the surface area for the bb to adhere too. It's not a huge deal, but better to have things setup right imo.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #15
Sf1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My bio-screen become blocked by brown algae after maybe 2-3 days max...

I tried filter floss, it doesn't work, it block the water flow. I need something much more thin. Maybe "AquaticLife 50 micron non-woven polishing pad (1/12th inch thick)"? Need to try it. Or maybe 100 micron pad, it's much cheaper (13$ vs 18$ on Amazon).
Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sf1 View Post
My bio-screen become blocked by brown algae after maybe 2-3 days max...

I tried filter floss, it doesn't work, it block the water flow. I need something much more thin. Maybe "AquaticLife 50 micron non-woven polishing pad (1/12th inch thick)"? Need to try it. Or maybe 100 micron pad, it's much cheaper (13$ vs 18$ on Amazon).
Something else is wrong with your water chemistry that the brown algae is taking over.

Just as information - Pensacola PetLand sells AquaticLife micron pads 26" x 30" (5.4 square feet) at the following rates:

300 Micron: $8.99
100 Micron: $9.99
50 Micron: $10.99

The prices quoted from Amazon are more than Petsmart sells them for at retail. Petsmart is usually at least 50% over Amazon prices ....... so something is wrong there at Amazon.

And, no ....... don't try 50 micron pads over the drip tray. Just for fun, since I have scraps of it, I cut to fit 100 micron aquaticlife pad and yes ...... it worked. But no better than just taking the original old pad and squeezing it between my fingers under tap (yes, tap) since I have so much excess BB).

Also note to everyone using aquaticlife100 micron polishing pad: I said this elsewhere that there are no directions on the package, but it does have a flow pattern. One side of it feels like felt ........ that is where the incoming water should go. The "finer" side feels like it is plastic coated and takes out the smallest particles.

When used with the correct flow pattern, the 100 Micron AquaticLife pads FAR outlast the OEM polishing pads. And the water is so crystal clear it is incredible.

Also, I have found the 50 Micron pads I have been using on one of the C3's in my 38 gallon don't make the water any more crystal clear at this point than 100 micron pads ....... since 50 microns is less than the human eye can see.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #17
Sf1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How about pre-filter mesh to protect the shrimps?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #18
Sf1
Aquarium Advice Freak

So, I added Acurel Waste & Debris pad with 100 Micron Felt (3$ for 18" x 30 at Aquarium Filter Media: Drs Foster and Smith Mechanical filter Media) as Paul1792 suggested. Fits perfectly, looks very promising.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #19
Sf1
Aquarium Advice Freak

upd.
Acurel Waste & Debris pad with 100 Micron Felt work well only 2 weeks or less.
After that Acurel become very thin and water bypass it, so the 100 micron felt become blocked very fast...

So, I add a standard Fluval C3 pad (without felt) + used and thin Acurel Waste & Debris pad + 100 micron felt. Fluval pad traps large debris, Acurel small and 100 mic. feld micro debris
Old 04-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sf1 View Post
upd.
Acurel Waste & Debris pad with 100 Micron Felt work well only 2 weeks or less.
After that Acurel become very thin and water bypass it, so the 100 micron felt become blocked very fast...

So, I add a standard Fluval C3 pad (without felt) + used and thin Acurel Waste & Debris pad + 100 micron felt. Fluval pad traps large debris, Acurel small and 100 mic. feld micro debris
Interesting. I do agree the Acurel pad can become "lame" over time and your solution looks good. I just go ahead and replace it when I can tell it's reached the end of its life cycle so to speak.

Also, the micron pads you ordered from Drs Foster are the felt ones and are not the same as AquaticLife non-woven pads I use. I'd be interested to know if the felt ones let you get crystal clear polished water.

I am using 50 micron pads now in two of my four filters as explained here in my filter media update:

Filter efficiency

Tags
filter, hob, hob filter, ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com